• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
    Did anyone try to ask an agent to send a spec and company details first? If they fail to provide them then obviously there is no gig.
    If they do, then disclose some two referees but then there is nothing to prevent you from contacting the company either directly or through other agent to check whether this gig really exists and whether your CV has been indeed submitted.
    Even if there is a role I don't disclose my referees until I have secured it and only to a checking service or the client. Why?

If there is a role they will first phone up the referee to get a reference and end with touting for work. Then a week or two later they phone up the same person touting for work. Some will even harass the person again months down the line. If there isn't a role they will just harass them repeatedly. I've overheard client people being harassed in this way.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Even if there is a role I don't disclose my referees until I have secured it and only to a checking service or the client. Why?

If there is a role they will first phone up the referee to get a reference and end with touting for work. Then a week or two later they phone up the same person touting for work. Some will even harass the person again months down the line. If there isn't a role they will just harass them repeatedly. I've overheard client people being harassed in this way.

Not only that, if the client starts to get annoyed, the agent will say "SueEllen"* (insert your own name here) gave me your details and said I should contact you. Hey presto, the agent is no longer the bad person in the client's eyes, but you are.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Square One Resources - Freddie ****** took me on a fishing trip for references just now, wasted ten minutes of my time.
        Last edited by administrator; 20 January 2016, 11:56. Reason: Name removed.

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
          Square One Resources - Freddie ****** took me on a fishing trip for references just now, wasted ten minutes of my time.
          Be positive - you wasted ten minutes of his by not providing him with two references.

Strange business for Freddie Starr to fall back to though.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Soooo many things to remember...I almost want my current gig cut short just for the agent handling practice!

Comment

Just give them details of 2 agents through which you have secured a role at some time.

That's all you're ever going to need under ANY circumstances.

Comment

I was hoping the same but I think I got a indirect banned from this forum.

Therefore, anyone mind lend a helping hand?

Comment

mod note: name removed

Maybe this has been debated before, but why are names of time-wasting agents removed? Surely it is in our professional interests to know about these things?

Comment

Maybe this has been debated before, but why are names of time-wasting agents removed? Surely it is in our professional interests to know about these things?
                    Because it's part of the game. They will continue to do because there is always someone is stupid enough to give them the information, and sadly there are plenty of them. Should we name and shame every contractor that feeds this habit? It's a bit sly but it's not illegal or immoral, it's a salesman getting leads. There is no benefit whatsoever to name them and it's not really a slur on the individual doing what agents do so what's the point?

If you are not professional enough to spot it and deal with it then I can't believe naming them is going to make a difference.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That would only make sense if they never had a real role - because if they do, declining to talk to them because someone on the internet said that they tried to get some references from them once might just be cutting your nose off.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X