• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why

Comment

Originally posted by stacyjones View Post
      why
      Desperation - if the market's bad for us, do you think it's going to be any better for them?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
        Today I had a call for role, they can't tell me who the role is for.

Oh and they needed Three technical references. Last time I gave a technical reference, as my mate was willing to take the call for a laugh, the recruiter kept him on the line for almost an hour
        I've done that.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I've done that.
          Been the victim or given them a friend's name?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Been the victim or given them a friend's name?
            Given friend's name.

He had fun winding the agent up by saying he needed about 20-25 bods.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Given friend's name.

He had fun winding the agent up by saying he needed about 20-25 bods.
              Ah yes, been there, done that. Amazing what happens when boredom strikes while UAT is on and you're waiting for defects.

Comment

Ah yes, been there, done that. Amazing what happens when boredom strikes while UAT is on and you're waiting for defects.

Any chance we can exchange some details from people willing to take calls from agents for us? I would be happy to if you do mine... you scratch my back I scratch yours situation no? Feel free to PM.

I've done this too, but my mate is an actual reference as we become mates whilst we worked together. Last time he called me and said not to give his name out unless a last stage interview or offer was on the table as the agent kept harassing him weekly. He told me to watch out as I may end up with no references.

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
                  Any chance we can exchange some details from people willing to take calls from agents for us? I would be happy to if you do mine... you scratch my back I scratch yours situation no? Feel free to PM.

I've done this too, but my mate is an actual reference as we become mates whilst we worked together. Last time he called me and said not to give his name out unless a last stage interview or offer was on the table as the agent kept harassing him weekly. He told me to watch out as I may end up with no references.
                  I just give them the details of the agencies for the last two gigs. Problem solved.

Comment

I just give them the details of the agencies for the last two gigs. Problem solved.
                    The catch is that they are clever little tulips. They will ask for references from the places you worked. They can tell it is an agency.

BTW, I think that now since CAPITA is handling most Public Sectors contracts, they actually do want 2 references beforehand, I have seen them even ask for last 5 years of references... crazy. I am willing to provide the info but give me a job first.

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
                      The catch is that they are clever little tulips. They will ask for references from the places you worked. They can tell it is an agency.

BTW, I think that now since CAPITA is handling most Public Sectors contracts, they actually do want 2 references beforehand, I have seen them even ask for last 5 years of references... crazy. I am willing to provide the info but give me a job first.
                      Tough luck on the first point - it's all I'm giving.

Second one, wtf???? As you say, I'll give them the references to help confirm the work offer.

Comment

Working...
                      X