• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Ha ha. So you give an agent a name and a company but no phone number. Do you really think that within 10 mins hes not googled the number and tried to get hold of that person via the company receptionist? And Im betting (for the one who he could get hold of) he hasnt mentioned you and has asked if he needs any contractors.....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TNA57 View Post
      I had the same from iO associates. Asked me for reference and i gave him two names without contact details indicating that i would give contact details once the process progresses but a couple of days later he contacts me to say oh he has been in touch with my contacts and one of them is no longer with said company. I was livid and the cherry on the cake was he asked me for alternatives Well i've learnt from that one!
      Quick question. What is the currency on the planet you come from?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        Quick question. What is the currency on the planet you come from?
        Honestly! There should be a big fat sign that says NO TROLLING!!!!
        What's the relevance of your question??
        I thought that was being fair but turns out i was wrong! Btw i pointed that out in my post too! Goodness!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Ha ha. So you give an agent a name and a company but no phone number. Do you really think that within 10 mins hes not googled the number and tried to get hold of that person via the company receptionist? And Im betting (for the one who he could get hold of) he hasnt mentioned you and has asked if he needs any contractors.....
          Yes, i think you're right judging by his request for alternative..Lesson learnt! Don't be naive

Comment

Originally posted by GideonTheIdiot View Post
            Weird agency today insisted on 2 refs on the phone at length claiming it made his candidates "stand out", followed up half hour later with an email insisting this was "the way he works and it makes his candidates better for some reason" etc. again at length. Suspect he was just bored on a Friday. I referred him to this thread.

Gave me an idea -

How about giving the agent 2 anonymous but genuine Testimonials?

A bit like crap shampoo adverts that quote "Lisa, Bristol" agreeing that a coconut based-hair product is great.

I have a really nice "goodbye and thanks" email from a very senior person that really fits the bill for that, it's like he wrote the strapline of an advert for me.

If agent insists on the contact details of the person who gave you the nice review, then he's fishing.

If agent says "OK as long as you can forward me the genuine emails where these 2 testimonials are copied from, after offer, then I accept them as "2 references" and you have fulfilled my bulltulip criteria for wasting your time on a Friday.
            You really think they give a toss? You've just wasted five minutes of your life.

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
            I've had this from Aston Carter in London on several occasions.

Never dealt with such amateurs in my life.. Avoid these idiots like the plague.
            I've found Aston Carter to be good. Market's crap so they're all chasing their tails at the moment.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

circle of life

Just give the references, it's the circle of life. Your next contract will come from the previous guys reference and vice versa.

Don't be one of those people that downloads a torrent only to hit delete straight afterwards, try seeding for a while. Put a little in the pot and get a little back.

Comment

I just need to get two references ...

Originally posted by Agent View Post
                Just give the references, it's the circle of life. Your next contract will come from the previous guys reference and vice versa.

Don't be one of those people that downloads a torrent only to hit delete straight afterwards, try seeding for a while. Put a little in the pot and get a little back.
                Yeah right....

Give references to those agents you've worked with before and can trust, otherwise treat the rest with the contempt they deserve.

(And it speaks volumes that an agent's analogy is the illegal downloading of pirated material...)
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent View Post

You know there are other more effective ways you can make contacts with people.

I've seen agencies in action and I have to say harassing some random IT bod is a waste of you time when the company has an HR.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Aston Carter in London have been the worst agents I've dealt with during my contract search.

I was naive back then and told their agent's the names of a few of my old managers. After which I never heard from them again.

I will never use them in the future. Fecking cowboys.

Comment

Originally posted by blackeye View Post
                      Aston Carter in London have been the worst agents I've dealt with during my contract search.
                      Every single agency I've had a contact through at some point has tried the two references trick.

It's more amusing when you have had a contract through them that has legitimately needed references, as you know that it is some newbie agent who has been told to hit the phones.

I just spend time talking to them and being unhelpful as then they aren't annoying someone else.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X