• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My last role was... perm. (Was contracting for four years prior to that). They've specifically asked for my last manager, whether they are still there or somewhere else. Say it's for pre-screening. I guess I can just ask the manager if it's okay.

Comment

Originally posted by imightbewrong View Post
      My last role was... perm. (Was contracting for four years prior to that). They've specifically asked for my last manager, whether they are still there or somewhere else. Say it's for pre-screening. I guess I can just ask the manager if it's okay.
      You're being played.

Tell them you've asked your old company and you're only allowed to give out HR details to confirm that you worked there. The agency have no right to ask your previous employer:

https://www.gov.uk/work-reference
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

So it's best to give old Agency details? I made the mistake to give references of my managers and they got called, after they were asked about me they started to ask about other vacancies etc... in the end I didn't get the job either so waste of time... plus one of my references called and said congrats... I said what for, he says new job, I say no new job just looking for a new one, he said so why the hell did you waste my time? (at that point I got pretty worried that I may not get a good reference in the future)

Comment

The answer you seek is in this thread.....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            The answer you seek is in this thread.....
            All 100+ pages of it, if you find it enlightenment will have been achieved grasshopper...

Comment

Originally posted by Drei View Post
              So it's best to give old Agency details? I made the mistake to give references of my managers and they got called, after they were asked about me they started to ask about other vacancies etc... in the end I didn't get the job either so waste of time... plus one of my references called and said congrats... I said what for, he says new job, I say no new job just looking for a new one, he said so why the hell did you waste my time? (at that point I got pretty worried that I may not get a good reference in the future)
              Best to tell them no.

As you have found out, all they want a reference for is to hassle for work. Which ends up with the person whos name you gave getting peed off with it.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                All 100+ pages of it, if you find it enlightenment will have been achieved grasshopper...
                Or just the post above the one they actually made.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Or just the post above the one they actually made.
                  Just wait until this thread is 200 pages long!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    Just wait until this thread is 200 pages long!
                    I'm sure they'll have other ways of doing it by then.

Venn Group do it quite blatantly if you pop into their offices and fill in one of their registration forms!

Comment

This is absolutely rife at the moment.

I applied for a position and subsequently received a call this morning from the recruiter. The role appeared a good match (hence why I applied for it) and I was given the name of the company. Discussed my previous experience and was told I'd be put forward for the role and a job spec would soon be in my inbox.

Checked my email and job spec arrived all well and good but get told on the email they want a reference and confirmation to put me forward for the role.

I replied with confirmation to put me forward and completely ignored the request for a reference. Had to be a line manager at the company I worked.

I'm now assuming this was a scam to get references / leads.

Do agents really go so far as to not only advertise a role that doesn't exist but also tell you the name of the company and provide you with a fake job spec (the job spec was unbrand) in order to generate leads and have the best shot at getting references out of candidates?

The time on the phone and time reading the job spec would have been at least 20 minutes of my day.

The frequency of calls like this at the moment is high and am beginning to suspect the job market is very slow right now hence the number of fishing for information scams being run.

Comment

Working...
                      X