• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StressedOut View Post
    This is absolutely rife at the moment.

I applied for a position and subsequently received a call this morning from the recruiter. The role appeared a good match (hence why I applied for it) and I was given the name of the company. Discussed my previous experience and was told I'd be put forward for the role and a job spec would soon be in my inbox.

Checked my email and job spec arrived all well and good but get told on the email they want a reference and confirmation to put me forward for the role.

I replied with confirmation to put me forward and completely ignored the request for a reference. Had to be a line manager at the company I worked.

I'm now assuming this was a scam to get references / leads.

Do agents really go so far as to not only advertise a role that doesn't exist but also tell you the name of the company and provide you with a fake job spec (the job spec was unbrand) in order to generate leads and have the best shot at getting references out of candidates?

The time on the phone and time reading the job spec would have been at least 20 minutes of my day.

The frequency of calls like this at the moment is high and am beginning to suspect the job market is very slow right now hence the number of fishing for information scams being run.
    Some, granted not many, clients do need references up front. I've been with a big retail client that needed them and I can confirm they checked them. It's only been once and I'm sure it's real in a minority of situations but they do. I just don't get why people get stressed out about it all.

As has been said so many times, give them the last agents names, explain the clients wouldn't let you give them as references and in nearly all cases that's the end of it. If it is a fake advert you've wasted a few minutes, if it's a real add you've played the agents game and stayed in the race. In my situation it saved me a gig I could have potentially lost if I'd been a dick about it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Some, granted not many, clients do need references up front. I've been with a big retail client that needed them and I can confirm they checked them. It's only been once and I'm sure it's real in a minority of situations but they do. I just don't get why people get stressed out about it all.

As has been said so many times, give them the last agents names, explain the clients wouldn't let you give them as references and in nearly all cases that's the end of it. If it is a fake advert you've wasted a few minutes, if it's a real add you've played the agents game and stayed in the race. In my situation it saved me a gig I could have potentially lost if I'd been a dick about it.
      The reason I believe this one was not genuine was because they wasn't asking for a reference from my previous employer (most recent) but rather for one that was over three years ago (very large business).

I can't see any other reason for this other than for leads.

Comment

The reason I believe this one was not genuine was because they wasn't asking for a reference from my previous employer (most recent) but rather for one that was over three years ago (very large business).

Fair enough.

Just tell them that your clients' don't give references.

If there are other contractors on site with "manager" in their title if you get on with them get them to give you a reference.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well you neglected to mention that nugget. Certainly looks a lot more suss. But still, you will to gamble on a hunch when you just do as has been suggested many times and the let it slide like water off a ducks back.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Well you neglected to mention that nugget. Certainly looks a lot more suss. But still, you will to gamble on a hunch when you just do as has been suggested many times and the let it slide like water off a ducks back.
            Yeah I ignored the request and focused instead on providing confirmation for the agency to represent me for the position. He hasn't come back to say they must have the reference or anything else as of yet.

He certainly hasn't pushed for it or told me I can't go for the position without the reference so will give the benefit of the doubt for now but I doubt I'll ever hear back from him.

On to the next one.

Comment

TEKsystems?
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                TEKsystems?
                I've used them. Aston Carter by another name in IB. Good, reliable payers.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Never gigged through them but have found TEKsystems pimp's more ruthless when it came to references, always wanting to meet up for coffee etc.

I know all pimps do this but TS seemed to be far more forthright and quite shameless in asking for them.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Heard a shocker yesterday. Agent asked me the usual "So can you tell me any companies you've been put forward to?" and I told him I'm not going to do that since it would hurt my chances there, and he replied "But we might have a relationship with that company and we could help push your application with them.". I wanted to say "So you are going to call that client and try and get another agency commission out of the goodness of your heart?" but I just kept quiet and he realized the stupidity of his comment and then carried on with "OK well if we come across any roles we'll get in touch."

Total timewaster too, he was a permie recruiter, so I cut him off at the start of the call saying I'm looking for contracts only, so he pulled the old "my colleague does contracts, so tell me everything and I'll pass it along to them", but he was blatantly fishing for details of my previous role so he could place a permie there (asked me everything I did there, size of the team, usual fact finding).

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                      Never gigged through them but have found TEKsystems pimp's more ruthless when it came to references, always wanting to meet up for coffee etc.

I know all pimps do this but TS seemed to be far more forthright and quite shameless in asking for them.

qh
                      I had the very same thing with the very same agent yesterday and had to politely remind them that I will provide references at the appropriate stage of the process...

Comment

Working...
                      X