• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just need to get two references ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You should have said
    "Ok then. First reference is Agent for client co A and second reference is agent for client co B"
    FTFY.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      FTFY.
      No you haven't.

You would have put Mr [agent name] client co A and Ms [agent name ] client co B.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

We put you in front of Clients

Got a call and the sweet talking chap told me about how they get my info and advertise me to clients. He said 40% (nice round number) of their placements were done this way!
        I told him excellent model but reference only on acceptance please. Didn't seem like he was interested in using the other method with 60% success.

Comment

Originally posted by dalx View Post
          Got a call and the sweet talking chap told me about how they get my info and advertise me to clients. He said 40% (nice round number) of their placements were done this way!
          I told him excellent model but reference only on acceptance please. Didn't seem like he was interested in using the other method with 60% success.
          You could gave him the name of your ex-manager 'Ivor Bigun' at Citi Bank at Canary Wharf, only contactable via their HR department, you should have told him...

Comment

Just had a call from Tek Systems - this was my first encounter of them! Very vague and faffy description of the job on offer, which just so happened to be "a perfect match" for my skills on offer, despite not telling me the location (not even a nearest town) for the gig. The rate also just happened to be about 20% more than I was on at my current gig too - funny that!

After a few minutes it became all too clear it was a fish and this lead to the usual "Now, Matt, I want to put you forward for this role but in my experience this particular client do like to have a technical reference to accompany an application - its highly likely to increase your chance of an interview!" - I asked if the guy had heard of LinkedIn, and suggested he look at my endorsements and recommendations there.

Do these people really think anyone is just going to give contact details out like this over the phone!?

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
              Do these people really think anyone is just going to give contact details out like this over the phone!?
              Even if only 1 in 20 fall for it, it's still worth trying. People who haven't been for a long time on the market, don't know the agent games and tricks yet and will fall for it one or two times.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                Just had a call from Tek Systems - this was my first encounter of them! Very vague and faffy description of the job on offer, which just so happened to be "a perfect match" for my skills on offer, despite not telling me the location (not even a nearest town) for the gig. The rate also just happened to be about 20% more than I was on at my current gig too - funny that!

After a few minutes it became all too clear it was a fish and this lead to the usual "Now, Matt, I want to put you forward for this role but in my experience this particular client do like to have a technical reference to accompany an application - its highly likely to increase your chance of an interview!" - I asked if the guy had heard of LinkedIn, and suggested he look at my endorsements and recommendations there.

Make sure you block the time wasting pricks number as well. Eventually when nobody will speak to them they will get the message.

Comment

Certes demanding references just to be allowed for consideration onto the shortlist for putting forward

had to laugh

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                    Certes demanding references just to be allowed for consideration onto the shortlist for putting forward

had to laugh
                    Did you get the client name? Location? Description of the Project? - Bet not

Comment

"Oh, I haven't received any reply from those references. Can you provide two different ones because the Client really needs two references before you start working."

Comment

Working...
                      X