• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG Sign Me UP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCG Sign Me UP

Hi

I wrote couple of days a go about the real benefit of joining PCG. (I'm not currently a member).
    I think my current contract it is caught by IR35 and with my limited knowledge of the rule i'm not confident to argue that point. Now that i have started to read some of the things that determine whether your in or out i'm starting to believe that maybe i am out of IR35. I want to get my contract reviewed and understand that PCG will do this when you join them along with offering IR35 insurance.

My questions is if i got contract reviewed by (one-off company) and had no insurance what are the likely costs invovled if i was investigated and found to be inside IR35. Are they anyone out there that is member of PCG had their contract reviewed by them and been investigated and won ? I'm very keen on not paying the amount of tax i currently pay.

As always big thanks in advance for your knowledge, time and experience
    Thats the way the cookie crumbles

The average challenge to the commisioners will cost you around £10k-£15k in representation fees and take about two years.

1400-odd people have challenged their IR35 status using PCG's PEI insurance. Three have lost, all several years ago, and two of those were winnable had they listened to their advisors.

The PEI Insurance is free, membership is £120 a year standard or £210 for PCGPlus (which is worth it).

Nuff said?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
      My questions is if i got contract reviewed by (one-off company) and had no insurance what are the likely costs invovled if i was investigated and found to be inside IR35.
      Whether you are found inside or outside, you will still have to pay your representation costs - which can be quite large over a multi-year investigation.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
        Whether you are found inside or outside, you will still have to pay your representation costs - which can be quite large over a multi-year investigation.
        isn't that what the insurance covers you for ?

Comment

isn't that what the insurance covers you for ?
          Yes, but your question was what would your costs be if you had NO insurance.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
            Yes, but your question was what would your costs be if you had NO insurance.
            point taken.

If you did have insurance and were investigated and lost i assume you still wouldn't need to pay the costs just the missing tax that hasn't been paid. I also assume that the only way you would loose is if you didn't go along with the advice of the experts in PCG

Comment

point taken.

If you did have insurance and were investigated and lost i assume you still wouldn't need to pay the costs just the missing tax that hasn't been paid. I also assume that the only way you would loose is if you didn't go along with the advice of the experts in PCG
              You may also want to take a look at QDOS -
              http://www.qdosconsulting.com/qdosma...e=dm5xc48qvv4r

They cover expenses and the liability. Giant used them.

Comment

point taken.

If you did have insurance and were investigated and lost i assume you still wouldn't need to pay the costs just the missing tax that hasn't been paid.
                Yes...plus any fines and interest. Fine are determined by HMRC, and could be 100%

I also assume that the only way you would loose is if you didn't go along with the advice of the experts in PCG
                No. They may advise you to roll over. Unlikely, but has happened.

Doesn't matter how many times the win loss stats are mentioned people still wonder if it's worth the 200 per year. (or whatever it is).

Don't dilly dally now...if you get the brown envelope before you join..you're on your own!

Comment

Yep, agree with max - financially it's a no brainer.

Just to clarify things slightly, back tax plus interest is the most likely outcome. Fines are highly unlikley if you can show you have tried to ascertain your status and been proven wrong, and to my knowledge fines have never been imposed.

Also be careful of the QDOS-like total cover insurances. They will only be offered if the insurer is pretty sure that you are outside IR35, in which case you are actually insuring for something the insurer's expert is convinced won't happen. Can't really see the point myself, but some people like wasting money.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                    Yep, agree with max - financially it's a no brainer.

Just to clarify things slightly, back tax plus interest is the most likely outcome. Fines are highly unlikley if you can show you have tried to ascertain your status and been proven wrong, and to my knowledge fines have never been imposed.

Also be careful of the QDOS-like total cover insurances. They will only be offered if the insurer is pretty sure that you are outside IR35, in which case you are actually insuring for something the insurer's expert is convinced won't happen. Can't really see the point myself, but some people like wasting money.
                    You, qdos, PCG are not the inland revenue. they might think you're outside IR35 but IR states otherwise. If you get insurance then why not get the lot. Doesn't cost that much more anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X