• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG Sign Me UP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with malvolio.

I had the QDOs cover for a couple of years. but it meant getting every contract reviewed and passed and frankly I have neither the time or inclination. The PCG Plus cover cuts in the moment HMRC come knocking and the insurers have a near 100% success rate.

One recent win for one of most colourful members was achieved despite most of his contracts (by his own admittance) appearing to be 100% inside IR35.

But he will tell you that our defence team are like rottweilers. Once they get their teeth in they won't let go and rarely lose despite what look like insurmountable odds.

PCG Plus at around £235 pa is a no-brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRightStuff
      You, qdos, PCG are not the inland revenue. they might think you're outside IR35 but IR states otherwise. If you get insurance then why not get the lot. Doesn't cost that much more anyway.
      What are you on about? Apart from anything else, the PCG's main advisor's actually are ex-IR people

The IR is not infallible (especially the current version of it whic is only interested in generating income from any availble source) and IR35 is just plain wrong. In all but 0.02% of cases challenged to date the contractor was found to be outside.

And if you can't see that insuring for something that won't happen is pointless, then you're perhaps even more deluded than you appear.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
        What are you on about? Apart from anything else, the PCG's main advisor's actually are ex-IR people

The IR is not infallible (especially the current version of it whic is only interested in generating income from any availble source) and IR35 is just plain wrong. In all but 0.02% of cases challenged to date the contractor was found to be outside.

And if you can't see that insuring for something that won't happen is pointless, then you're perhaps even more deluded than you appear.
        you're funny.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
          1. Even after a contract has been review it is still possible a case may be lost.

2. If you have many years of dividends to protect (many £10,000s) a few extra quid for the extra tax loss protection is sensible in my opinion. The cost is minute compared to the potential loss.

3. What price do you put on peace of mind? knowing that whatever the outcome you are covered, however unlikely a loss might be, if it helps you sleep at night is money well spent.

4. I got a letter from QDOS telling me HMRC are changing tactics on IR35 and cases are becoming more protracted and more difficult to defend. I don't care as I have tax loss protection. I might if I didn't.

5. Having to get your contract reviewed is good. It means you have an opportunity to change clauses that might hurt your defence. It only takes a day or two to get it reviewed.

I think it boils down to how risk-adverse people are and not necessarily about being deluded!

Just my 2p worth.

Comment

1. Even after a contract has been review it is still possible a case may be lost.

But at a 0,02% of losing a challenge, and no losses in four years, it's not exactly very likely

2. If you have many years of dividends to protect (many £10,000s) a few extra quid for the extra tax loss protection is sensible in my opinion. The cost is minute compared to the potential loss.

Perhaps, still no point in doing so though

3. What price do you put on peace of mind? knowing that whatever the outcome you are covered, however unlikely a loss might be, if it helps you sleep at night is money well spent.

I sleep quite well. I understand IR35 rules, I understand my contractual status, I'm comfortable with the cover I have

4. I got a letter from QDOS telling me HMRC are changing tactics on IR35 and cases are becoming more protracted and more difficult to defend. I don't care as I have tax loss protection. I might if I didn't.

Nor do I. My insurance covers the investigation and defence costs, just like QDOS's does. IR35 is gone, anyway, the next line will be to equalise small company and employee taxation levels, and that is a lot harder to fight

5. Having to get your contract reviewed is good. It means you have an opportunity to change clauses that might hurt your defence. It only takes a day or two to get it reviewed.

I get mine reviewed

I think it boils down to how risk-adverse people are and not necessarily about being deluded!

TheRightStuff is deluded if he thinks the IR are right about anything, let alone IR35.

Just my 2p worth.

Fair enough. Doesn't make you any more right though...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I don't recall saying IR are always right.
              I would be even more deluded if I thought you was right all the time.

I bet you look like a clown.
              You're funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis
                Er, they weren't trying to sell you tax loss insurance when you got that were they?

Comment

so i think your saying go for PCG and get the insurance. Then get your contract reviewed sit back with a cup of dividends and enjoy with knowledge that if HMRC come knocking there is a good chance they will loose.
                  Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

I only have PCG vanilla... whats the benefit of getting the more expensive version.

Comment

Originally posted by tay
                      I only have PCG vanilla... whats the benefit of getting the more expensive version.
                      I can't believe you said vanilla.

Comment

Working...
                      X