• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All Government roles to be 60% on-site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

What a totally ridiculous post. What exactly does an IT person need to work from home? A laptop and broadband. That's it. You are no more productive in your swanky office with your nice leather chair than somebody who works from a kitchen table. Jesus.
    It's not a leather chair, it's a Hermon Miller Aeron.

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
      Don't know if people were aware of this but I wasn't.

Apparently all roles working for government departments have to be 60% hybrid from April. So unless you are local it's going to be a bit hard to do considering most of these roles are inside IR35.
      They've been saying that for years - and ironically, the conservative government unwittingly triggered the biggest informal union movement when all of those people basically said "no".

They can't sack all of them - hold firm. The commercial landlords will have to do something else for money.

We are in a post-"doing things for the sake of it" society now.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
        I sat an online Speed Awareness Course at the weekend, delivered via Zoom and the one thing that occurred to me was how ridiculous everybody's 'working from home' setup was, especially compared to mine, which is world class. All these people squatting in broom cupboards, dining rooms and corridors, etc., are no doubt the sames ones claiming they are MORE PRODUCTIVE working from home. In actual fact they are stealing from their employers.

The reality is that after 100% WFH, nobody wants to get up on a cold dark morning, hack the ice off their car and make their way through traffic jams to try get to their desk at an ungodly hour. I'm one of them. But fortunately I do have this fantastic setup, a client that has always been 100% WFH and always will be. I'm also old and I've earned my stripes both in my field of expertise and putting in the desk duty for around 40 years. So for me, being effective 100% WFH is the reality and I doubt I'll return to the office anytime soon, if ever. BUT, for the vast majority of people with tulip home setups, who have still to learn their craft, get back in the f***ing office most of the time!
        Relax Mr. I'm better than others with a WORLD CLASS "working from home" setup talk about making assumptions about things...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Bit strong calling it ridiculous. They evidenced their argument at the beginning. [...]
          You mean the bit about judging people's work from home set up based on a bloody Speed Awareness Course? wtf are you on about? Bit strong calling it "evidenced".

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

It's not a leather chair, it's a Hermon Miller Aeron.
            Mine as well, and the missus's.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
              You mean the bit about judging people's work from home set up based on a bloody Speed Awareness Course? wtf are you on about? Bit strong calling it "evidenced".
              There is that, there is evidence from family, friends co-workers and there is common sense knowing not everyone has a home setup and taking in to account their situations so a pretty good wrap. Far better than one person basing the whole world on their individual situation.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                There is that, there is evidence from family, friends co-workers and there is common sense knowing not everyone has a home setup and taking in to account their situations so a pretty good wrap. Far better than one person basing the whole world on their individual situation.
                How do you know they are basing things on their individual situation? maybe, exactly like you, it's based on evidence from family, friends, other? There's people with less than ideal home set ups that are more efficient from home, there's those with "ideal" set up who's efficiency is tulipe from home and anything in between. We have no actual data on who's doing how on what setup, so anything at this point is anecdotal evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

How do you know they are basing things on their individual situation? maybe, exactly like you, it's based on evidence from family, friends, other? There's people with less than ideal home set ups that are more efficient from home, there's those with "ideal" set up who's efficiency is tulipe from home and anything in between. We have no actual data on who's doing how on what setup, so anything at this point is anecdotal evidence.
                  If you look at most posts from people saying 100% WFH should be a good given right and them mentioning they have a full setup at home it's pretty obvious they aren't looking at it from anything but their own situation which is pretty niche. They then apply this to the whole population. It's the same over and over again. I (and others) just point out there are many different situations to consider. You gather data where you can. From post like Oliversons, from friends/family, seeing what other people at your clients are doing on zoom/teams and applying a bit of basic common sense. Not hard to work out a family of 3 or 4 in a small terrace is gonna struggle and I know exactly who at my client works from the sofa and who doesnt.

Oddly enough, I have a full home setup as well but my other half has been told not to come in today because of the weather, I've come home early from my stay away gig and one of the lads uni is fully online today. Eldest is WFH today anyway and should have been the only one. Me in the office, one in kitchen, one in his room on a desk and the other struggling to find somewhere to sit. We couldn't do this everyday. Being in office/clients at different days works better for us than WFH.

Comment

Just comment on original Title:

I think this is just the "wedge" being rammed in a little deeper!

I was doing a HMG gig pre-Covid...
                    I was WFH basically 100% (aside from the odd team meet-up in various offices)
                    This was basically "unofficial" - in that the team of 6-ish were nominally based in about 4 locations scattered round the north of UK and nobody actively asked (or cared) where you worked (everyone knew)
                    The Covid hit and, pretty obviously, everyone went to 100% WFH
                    (Many permies openly made points such as:
                    For many years you have actively discouraged WFH
                    - but now it is "working" and working pretty well!!
                    What are the chances of having more WFH after the plague!!!)
                    Post Covid....
                    Most continued WFH for a while...
                    Then "Hybrid" was encouraged... for a while
                    Then "Hybrid - 40/60" was encouraged... for a while
                    Then "Hybrid - 40/60" was VERY STRONGLY encouraged... for a while
                    (They actually sent people round offices Headcounting)
                    Then "Hybrid - 40/60" was (attempted)_ to be "enforced"...
                    ie They asked Management/Team Leads to record the 40/60

So 60/40 is only the next step.

No doubt it'll get back to 100% being the norm.... but probably also back to the unofficial reality!!

There was an anecdotal rumour that one of the Ministers was amazed sometime post-Covid when he visited an office and there was basically no body there!! So he made it known that he expected people at desks!! (This anecdote is almost certainly repeated in every Ministry/Department)

Comment

There is definitely a push now to get people back in more and more, this week I've had a couple of roles via agencies one said 5 days in the office non negotiable and the other one said 4 days in the office but 5 is desirable...these are private sector.

I can't image doing that again....don't mind a mix 2/3 or 3/2 but I'd not go back to 5...did it for a long time and now am too old/too knackered for the long commutes...

Comment

Working...
                      X