• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stay as contractor or move to a permanent role for maternity leave?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay as contractor or move to a permanent role for maternity leave?

Female contractor here. Me and my partner are looking to have a child in the next year or so. I am currently contracting under my Limited Company and am working with a client that I really, really like. I do not wish to end my contract with this client, but I think it's prudent to seek permanent employment elsewhere to get maternity leave.

Is going perm the only viable option for me? How did you navigate pregnancy as a contractor?

If you are a contractor all you will get is statutory payments so go perm at a place with a decent policy.

i would have thought that was obvious
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You (Abby) might already know this, but take a look at statutory maternity pay:
      Maternity pay and leave: Pay - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

If you're eligible (i.e. you've been employed for at least 26 of the previous 66 weeks), you'll get 90% of your normal salary for the first 6 weeks, then £172/week for the next 33 weeks.

So, it's worth doing some sums: you might be better off sticking with your current contract and then take some unpaid time off, if that gives you more money overall.

As eek says, you might find employers who will have more generous policies (e.g. full salary for 6 months). If so, you can factor that into your calculations.

One other option might be to switch from your limited company to an umbrella company, so that you can stay at your current client. (I.e. you would then get SMP from the umbrella, as a permanent employee.)

It's worth noting that potential employers aren't allowed to discriminate against people who might get pregnant (under the Equality Act 2010). However, in practical terms, they might say "We're suspicious of ex-contractors" as an excuse.

Comment

I'm a big believer in people being able to take mat/paternity pay while in a job - but isn't joining a place for the purpose of using such a policy a bit... much?

At the very least, do it to a horrible company.
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          I'm a big believer in people being able to take mat/paternity pay while in a job - but isn't joining a place for the purpose of using such a policy a bit... much?

At the very least, do it to a horrible company.
          Have to say reading this thread I also thought the idea of going perm just for maternity a bit uncomfortable. Would I do it (or my other half)? Probably, but it still wouldn't sit right. Either way, the love of your life will be born, the client will get over it fairly quickly and life will move on so I can see why people would do it and not care. Life is too short.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm all for getting back what you've paid in, and I'm not sure if I'm maybe being a bit too cynical, but 1 think the company which hires someone who wants to be hired almost solely for the purpose of picking up on maternity leave is getting a bit of a rum deal.

I also wonder if the majority of women who saw the OP on this thread might feel a tad let down?
            Chief Executive, FCSA
            - Former CEO OF IPSE
            - LtdCo Contractor for 20 odd years before that
            - Former Chair of IPSE nee PCG

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bryce View Post
              I'm all for getting back what you've paid in, and I'm not sure if I'm maybe being a bit too cynical, but 1 think the company which hires someone who wants to be hired almost solely for the purpose of picking up on maternity leave is getting a bit of a rum deal.

I also wonder if the majority of women who saw the OP on this thread might feel a tad let down?
              But it's easy for the company's to deal with this. They can just not employ women between the ages of 20 and 30 and if they do ask them if they intend to have kids at interview can't they? Simples.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

But it's easy for the company's to deal with this. They can just not employ women between the ages of 20 and 30 and if they do ask them if they intend to have kids at interview can't they? Simples.
                Chief Executive, FCSA
                - Former CEO OF IPSE
                - LtdCo Contractor for 20 odd years before that
                - Former Chair of IPSE nee PCG

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Have to say reading this thread I also thought the idea of going perm just for maternity a bit uncomfortable. Would I do it (or my other half)? Probably, but it still wouldn't sit right. Either way, the love of your life will be born, the client will get over it fairly quickly and life will move on so I can see why people would do it and not care. Life is too short.
                  I think it's typical of the culture of this country and in particular, more recent generations. All about me, me, me!

Comment

Must admit, not impressed. Unless you intend staying there for a few years after you’ve had the baby, then it’s more reasonable.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X