• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stay as contractor or move to a permanent role for maternity leave?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

But it's easy for the company's to deal with this. They can just not employ women between the ages of 20 and 30 and if they do ask them if they intend to have kids at interview can't they? Simples.
    Newsflash, average age of having a child for the first time is above 30 in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Must admit, not impressed. Unless you intend staying there for a few years after you’ve had the baby, then it’s more reasonable.
      Agree. Can't be too hard on the OP, given that there are few practical options, but it would seem reasonable to give the company a decent period after maternity leave. Going straight back to contracting at the next available opportunity would be pretty dubious.

Comment

I've started a contract just before my wife gave birth and I have to say it was pretty tulipe on the whole family as I was doing long hours as the project was kicking off and commute was a fair bit. I only took two weeks off to help out at the start (we had some family over to help so it wasn't the end of the world) and even that was a stretch as I had loads to do and no one at the client's place was very keen for me to be away for longer. Overall looking back at it, I'd much rather be in a perm position, where you can negotiate some extra hols, or even get paternity leave to help out etc.

Consider that with a new born, even if he / she goes into a nursery at 6 months (which is crazy early btw imho as you'll want to spend more time with him / her), they might get ill, need time off due to not liking that particular place etc. and you will be forced to take time off work. No idea how your contracts look like, or what the industry is, but generally you are taken on to get on with the job and not many clients will be very happy with you disappearing. Also of course depends on your partner's position / availability, but I think you get the point.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Must admit, not impressed. Unless you intend staying there for a few years after you’ve had the baby, then it’s more reasonable.
          I have a different opinion: that I see absolutely no problem with joining a JPM/Barclays/random awful bank, or other large multinational just for the maternity benefits. None what-so-ever. I've seen these companies all too willing to throw good people under the bus for some tangential advantage over the years. To Hell with them. Fill your boots OP. And enjoy your paid time off.
          Last edited by wattaj; 31 January 2024, 10:52. Reason: Poor speillng.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

I have a different opinion: that I see absolutely no problem with joining a JPM/Barclays/random awful bank, or other large multinational just for the maternity benefits. None what-so-ever. I've seen these companies all to willing to throw good people under the bus for some tangential advantage over the years. To Hell with them. Fill your boots OP. And enjoy your paid time off.
            Big multi-nationals? Yep, that’s ok I suppose.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Interestingly, my previous client was perfectly happy for one of its contractors to take a full month off paternity leave. It was made clear when they joined that they intended to take the time off and everyone on the project knew about it so it was super easy to plan in.

When I worked at a local county council, back at the start of my contracting career, a youngster joined the council with the sole aim of getting pregnant and taking advantage of the generous maternity policy. She did the bare minimum in the role while building up her qualifying period. I have no idea if she did have a kid as my contract ended before that happened.

Comment

I have a different opinion: that I see absolutely no problem with joining a JPM/Barclays/random awful bank, or other large multinational just for the maternity benefits. None what-so-ever. I've seen these companies all to willing to throw good people under the bus for some tangential advantage over the years. To Hell with them. Fill your boots OP. And enjoy your paid time off.
                But then you can't get a gig with them and get hooked on the idea and then take anything and your moral plan falls apart.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  But then you can't get a gig with them and get hooked on the idea and then take anything and your moral plan falls apart.
                  This is a potential outcome, but the OP's initial premise remains sound... if they are able to find the right employer/role.
                  Last edited by wattaj; 31 January 2024, 10:53. Reason: Clarity.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

This is a potential outcome, but the OP's initial premise remains sound... if they are able to find the right employer/role.
                    I get your point but still doesn't do it for me. Still dicks a whole host of people around in the team and the like, not just the faceless company.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Interestingly, my previous client was perfectly happy for one of its contractors to take a full month off paternity leave. It was made clear when they joined that they intended to take the time off and everyone on the project knew about it so it was super easy to plan in.

When I worked at a local county council, back at the start of my contracting career, a youngster joined the council with the sole aim of getting pregnant and taking advantage of the generous maternity policy. She did the bare minimum in the role while building up her qualifying period. I have no idea if she did have a kid as my contract ended before that happened.
                      working at a council seems to be just one step up from claiming benefits.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X