• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client requests me to go permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post

Confused, you are relocating without knowing the numbers ?
    I know averages for the position as they have unions and specific salary ranges for each job. Wife would need a job either way as one salary is not enough to live on even if it's good.

We are not Brits (well I am, but dual citizenship, so not native), so I guess relocating is a bit of a stretch, leaving would probably make more sense. We've decided to go basically, just not sure where yet, so going through the options.

Edit: anyways, without this client what are your other options? More clients? Possible to get contracts in your field? Other perm position are easy to get ie. interview for and actually get offers not just get interviews with no feedback afterwards?
    Last edited by dsc; 22 December 2023, 20:45.

Comment

If there is anywhere most people should experience it's working in Norway, Sweden, Denmark. The standard of living is much higher and there is still some society cohesion, a reminder of the past in England.

Doing a year or two in Norway and visiting Sweden regularly would be a good life. There is a reason the tax is high for higher earners. It's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I'm seriously considering it
        How can you 'seriously' consider it, when you don't even know what the offer is?

Also since they asked you, make sure they come up with the initial offer first. Don't say this is how much you want.

Comment

Went permie a couple of years ago. The tax kills me, especially as I have investment income that eats up a lot of my basic rate tax bracket. It's incredibly demotivating to work (hard) in relatively senior role and have a heck of lot of your earnings go to tax. I was even offered a promotion but that would have led to just more tax, with the resulting net income not worth the increase in responsibility/role.

At least with a Ltd co + outside contract, you can bank the earnings and drip feed out at your own pace, or save and re-invest. So many more options.

So in my experience at least, it's not been a fruitful endeavour and there is no light at the end of this particular journey. I would jump at the chance of going back contracting, even at a lower rate, so long as it was outside IR35

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Went permie a couple of years ago. The tax kills me
            Does maxing out into pension not help?

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Does maxing out into pension not help?
              I have other investment income that puts me close to the 40% bracket before even accounting for salary, so it means I'm taxed heavily. But yes I'm putting close to 70% of gross into the employer pension, which means I don't get a lot net to spend and this is a real demotivator.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post
                If there is anywhere most people should experience it's working in Norway, Sweden, Denmark. The standard of living is much higher and there is still some society cohesion, a reminder of the past in England.

Doing a year or two in Norway and visiting Sweden regularly would be a good life. There is a reason the tax is high for higher earners. It's worth it.
                Tis the very reason I want to give it a go. I don't think chances like these come up very often, it's not all about the money at the end of the day.

Comment

I was PMing a couple of projects for a client and they asked me if I would take the permanent role of Programme Manager they were advertising. I calculated the equivalent salary from my net day rate then uplifted by 20% to a) account for the additional committment / responsibility and b) as a disicentive to the client, because I was quite happy doing what I was doing. Fortunately for me, HR would not approve the salary.

It's all about context, priorities and timing - currently there are no major incentives for me to be perm. Circumstances could change at any time and it's a fragile existence, particularly at this time, in the this country; I was late to the contracting party and it seems at least to me the hay days are long gone - no war chest to speak of, reducing tax benefits and no holiday breaks in-between contracts (which keeps the mortgage underwriters happy). Despite that, agility and independence are still valuable and the boundaries of providing professional services, even inside IR35 with the eye-watering tax contributions, avoid a stack of BS. So I will continue for as long as I can this way...

Comment

Am I the only person that pays 300 quid odd for IR35 cover from qdos and then basically doesn't give IR35 a second thought?

I'd have no issue switching from contract to perm even on the same project, first thing I'd do is a big sigh of relief then I'd start a pension and start enjoying sick days and other benefits, I'd join all their silly webinars on woke diversity and my productivity would probably halve.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
                      Am I the only person that pays 300 quid odd for IR35 cover from qdos and then basically doesn't give IR35 a second thought?
                      Probably, given that their cover has a "reasonable prospect of success" clause, which you would not have in that scenario, typically (obviously depends on the facts). Assuming Chapter 8 here, which has a more direct risk to the contractor's Ltd, although Chapter 10 has some risk too, depending on contractual terms.

Comment

Working...
                      X