• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie job for company with HQ in Cyprus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie job for company with HQ in Cyprus

Right, so even if I'm in a contract for at least another 4 months, I am always looking for jobs.

Stumbled upon this job ad on LinkedIn for a company based in Cyprus, operating in the gambling/gaming industry, and recruiting for a fully remote permanent role. Right enough I checked their employees on LinkedIn and they seem to be spread all over the world (although there aren't many employees and none seems to be based in the UK). That's actually one of the things they heavily promote as a benefit, the possibility to work from anywhere in the world. I applied, curious to see what happens.

Sounds slightly dodgy at first but it can also be because I know nothing about these type of things.

How does that work from my perspective, being based in UK and wanting to stay in the UK, and what info would I need to ask for in case they get back to me? I assume it'd all be legit and "doable" if the company was registered in the UK as well. Anything else I may be forgetting?

First question I'd ask you is are you serious about this role. Is it too good to pass up or is it OK'ish and you are having a sniff. If it's the latter I'd just drop it and move on. Far to much risk and then there is actually doing the job itself. Its going to be beyond tedious just doing the same thing from home for a company where you'll probably never see another colleague. Very little motivation to do it for the company and all that. The only reason I could see for going for something like this is the ludicrous pay/benefits. If they aren't there I can't see why you'd expose yourself to monotonously boring job like this. We haven't even got in to the risks of it being abroad and all that. I am absolutely certain there is a solution to be paid etc but the actual job sounds terrible.

If it is far too juicy to pass up I'd then ask is it TOO juicy. If something looks too good to be true that's when alarm bells should really start ringing.

So far too complex to touch unless you are desparate for the role IMO.

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Anything else I may be forgetting?
    That you are a contractor. Stop looking at perm roles you loser
    And that this is a contractor UK site, not a perm cyprus one.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's a very foolish gambling / gaming company that takes on staff working in the UK..
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        It's a very foolish gambling / gaming company that takes on staff working in the UK..
        How so? UK gambling sector is easily the most advanced and mature in the world, with the exception of the land based cities like Vegas and Macau.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

How so? UK gambling sector is easily the most advanced and mature in the world, with the exception of the land based cities like Vegas and Macau.
          You end up falling within the very strict rules of the UK rather than elsewhere.

If a company wanted to be party to the UK rules then you are based in the UK like Bet365 and similar firms are...

There is a reason why a company may wish to be based outside the UK and there are consequences of doing so....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You end up falling within the very strict rules of the UK rather than elsewhere.

If a company wanted to be party to the UK rules then you are based in the UK like Bet365 and similar firms are...

There is a reason why a company may wish to be based outside the UK and there are consequences of doing so....
            So, they know I'm based in the UK from my application. If as you say they are a smart company, they won't call me back. If they still call me back, it's likely they're trying to pull something dodgy

Comment

If they have a UK presence and payroll (apparently not), it will be straightforward. Otherwise, you'll need a payroll provider or to set up a DPNI scheme yourself:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...nual/paye20100

Comment

UK rules are not very strict.

Having some resources in the UK does not make them 'based' in the UK. Most of the UK brands aren't based in the UK for licensing purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

UK rules are not very strict.

Having some resources in the UK does not make them 'based' in the UK. Most of the UK brands aren't based in the UK for licensing purposes.
                  Indeed. A friend of mine is a UK employee of a well-known large betting company based outside the UK, in fact she manages their global payroll. No legal or tax problems for her, as far as I'm aware.

Comment

I'd pass purely based on the fact that the HQ is based in Cyprus ie. probably doesn't offer much in terms of salary vs average salaries on the UK market.

Comment

Working...
                    X