• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 contracts concurrently one perm and one inside

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 contracts concurrently one perm and one inside

So here is my scenario. I am working 2 roles from home right now, one is paying 65k and is permanent, its very laid back and they allow me to work flexible hours anytime I want as long as the work is complete they are ok. The other contract is 400 per day and is through an umbrella. Which of these should I be classing as my first role to HMRC and how much tax am I likely to pay. The first job isn't taxing and I can easily run it alongside the other role without clashes in meetings etc.

And?

What is your question?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Perm role is your primary job, put your tax allowance on that.

Contract is your second job, pay at marginal rate.

Never ceases to amaze me that there are people earning 6 figures who can't roughly work out their taxes.

Comment

Bear in mind that the tax code only affects your weekly/monthly payments. At the end of the financial year, HMRC will work out your total income and therefore the total tax that's due; you'll then either get a rebate or have to pay them the excess.

You can do the same calculation as HMRC, to predict how much tax you'll pay. (I use Excel for that.) Obviously that will depend on how many days you do for the current contract.

Comment

Have you checked your perm contract to see if you can do extra work? They maybe flexible but they will still expect 40 hours a week from you. The inside gig will expect the same. How you are you going to shuffle 80 hours a week in to a normal day? Answer is you can't. You'll be working on the perm companies time without out a doubt. Doesn't matter how flexible they are you will have meetings and priorities clashes. Neither will be happy you are working for the other if you told them so don't do it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Have you checked your perm contract to see if you can do extra work? They maybe flexible but they will still expect 40 hours a week from you. The inside gig will expect the same. How you are you going to shuffle 80 hours a week in to a normal day? Answer is you can't. You'll be working on the perm companies time without out a doubt. Doesn't matter how flexible they are you will have meetings and priorities clashes. Neither will be happy you are working for the other if you told them so don't do it.
            Cool story, Boomer.

You are the most hypocritical user on this site. Constantly berate people about not being 'business' enough to be contracting and then begging for your employer to tell you how high when they say jump. You are a permatractor no matter how much you wish to deny it.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Cool story, Boomer.

You are the most hypocritical user on this site. Constantly berate people about not being 'business' enough to be contracting and then begging for your employer to tell you how high when they say jump. You are a permatractor no matter how much you wish to deny it.
              It’s more a case of checking contracts. At least one of those will probably stipulate that you can’t work for others at the same time.

If the OP knows the risks and accepts the consequences of breaking said contract, it’s not our business how he goes about his life.

At least he can’t say that no one told him.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Cool story, Boomer.

He's not a boomer. He's younger than that.

And you need to lay off the personal attacks in the professional forums, or you'll get some time off.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I run three concurrent contracts - one of which I work on during bathroom breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    That answer has nothing to do with the question.

Comment

Working...
                    X