• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tories scrapping IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I misread the thread title, I thought it said IR35 scrapping Tories...

Comment

When Phillip Hammond was a backbencher in 2007 he wanted to scrap IR35. When he became Chancellor of the Exchequer in 2018 he did the opposite. Why would David Davis behave any different?
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

It's true though. Are you working inside?
        No. I'm working through an Umbrella company as my huge, multinational customer no longer engages with UK LtdCo contractors therefore removing the entire IR35 discussion. The project, prior to that decree, was undertaken through my Ltd, with an Outside IR35 SDS.

The idea that in 2023, the only contractors not working via Ltd Co are not "real contractors" is a farcical assertion which only shows your own naivety and short sightedness. Personally I'm taking home more than ever due to the uplift I was able to negotiate when they begged me to come back onboard through a brolly - why on Earth would I cut off my nose just to say "Oh, I'm working through a Ltd Co."

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
          Not sure what I feel about this, great for it to be scrapped. But not if another 4 years of this government :-(

MP calls for IR35 to be abolished to win election - Freelance Informer
          Dont hold your breath.
          They always talked this BS when the GE is around the corner.
          Has it helped with the ugly Loan Charge? Letters of investigation from the Hector constantly in the post - a notice about tax your avoidance measurements.

My ears would prick up if was Scrappage of the Off Payroll Worker Rules 2017/2021. Going back to 2019 and the Corporation Tax Rate might drive innovation back to the UK.

Comment

What I find interesting about IR35 is how people throw around the statement scrap IR35.

IR35 was supposed to ensure everyone paid the correct amount of tax.

Scrapping a legislation like that, is saying, don't pay the correct amount of tax.

Now once you have all stopped laughing so hard you can hardly breath. The fact that most members of the commons have unique arrangements with regards their tax affairs makes the original statement, almost null and void. My personal belief is all they (MP's etc) need to do is roll back the amendments to 2017

IR35 worked sort of ok prior to then. Us contractors who were contractors and not friday to monday contractors. Operated correctly, and did what we were supposed to do and all was well.

I probably turned down too many opportunities due to my draconian due diligence to compliance.

What hit me was the thing that apparently does not exist (Blanket bans).

But as has been said here, careful what you wish for, as the replacement could be even worse.

But not sure changing it now would make a difference. HMRC seem to be making stuff up as they go along.

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
              What I find interesting about IR35 is how people throw around the statement scrap IR35.

IR35 was supposed to ensure everyone paid the correct amount of tax.

Scrapping a legislation like that, is saying, don't pay the correct amount of tax.

Now once you have all stopped laughing so hard you can hardly breath. The fact that most members of the commons have unique arrangements with regards their tax affairs makes the original statement, almost null and void. My personal belief is all they (MP's etc) need to do is roll back the amendments to 2017

IR35 worked sort of ok prior to then. Us contractors who were contractors and not friday to monday contractors. Operated correctly, and did what we were supposed to do and all was well.

I probably turned down too many opportunities due to my draconian due diligence to compliance.

What hit me was the thing that apparently does not exist (Blanket bans).

But as has been said here, careful what you wish for, as the replacement could be even worse.

But not sure changing it now would make a difference. HMRC seem to be making stuff up as they go along.
              Wait to you see the options in the current umbrella regulation discussions (which really is HMRC want more money).

You may as well give up contracting now given the options offered..
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Wait to you see the options in the current umbrella regulation discussions (which really is HMRC want more money).

Yeah I went perm nearly 2 years ago. Hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Do share some details/speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
                    Indeed. Not one single change since it came in has been good so old heads won't be so eager for it to change again.

And changing a piece of legislation that is designed to bring more money in rarely gets changed in the favour of the tax payer.

Double whammy so lets hope it stays
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh, FFS, pay attention. DD, John Redwood and a few other fringe Tories have been saying this for years, and look how well that has gone.

Comment

Working...
                      X