• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flippity-Flop: Weighing up a Return to Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£700 a day is £14000 before vat or £16,800 with vat.

that’s not close to £20,000..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Some months had 23 days work days and please round up - You get the argument in general surely

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
        The problem which I have and I am sure a lot of ex contractors have is that the take home pay on perm salary even on 120K plus is awful - I am talking about 5K a month after doing some salary sacrifice which is not much once you got used to seeing 20K as a contractor come into the bank account and being able to buy property / take director loans.

5K a month when you have a 3k mortgage is simply hand to mouth bread money so I always dream of going back to 700 a day as a contractor and having nearly 20k a month clearing the bank account and being able to use that money for cashflow whilst VAT was not due. Quite apart from the LTD tax advantages where lunch and everything was bookable against the company
        Give it a rest will you.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Give it a rest will you.
          LPM1 isn't going to give it a rest until the banhammer smacks them in the nozzle.

Comment

He doesn’t have a £3k mortgage on his only home.
            He doesn’t contract or understand how contractors work.
            He relies on moving country to evade/avoid taxes.
            He just likes to derail every thread.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

<Mod snip>AI used to generate BS

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Me neither but you have to be prepared for it, particularly if you are in the finance sector.
                I am on my second inside contract and it is fine.

Then again I am one of those people who look at a payslip and am happy about what I net. Too many people look at their payslip and worry about what the government takes.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                  The problem which I have and I am sure a lot of ex contractors have is that the take home pay on perm salary even on 120K plus is awful - I am talking about 5K a month after doing some salary sacrifice which is not much once you got used to seeing 20K as a contractor come into the bank account and being able to buy property / take director loans.

5K a month when you have a 3k mortgage is simply hand to mouth bread money so I always dream of going back to 700 a day as a contractor and having nearly 20k a month clearing the bank account and being able to use that money for cashflow whilst VAT was not due. Quite apart from the LTD tax advantages where lunch and everything was bookable against the company
                  Maybe it should be a wake up call that you have/had a 3K a month mortgage not because you are fantastically skilled, clever or indispensable but that you were able to bend the tax laws to your advantage.
                  Last edited by TheDude; 6 March 2023, 09:29.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    £700 a day is £14000 before vat or £16,800 with vat.

that’s not close to £20,000..
                    If you are spending your VAT then you are probably from the Robert Maxwell school of business management and can believe any numbers you want.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I am on my second inside contract and it is fine.

Then again I am one of those people who look at a payslip and am happy about what I net. Too many people look at their payslip and worry about what the government takes.
                      Yep I was the same when I was inside. Was the most relaxed I've ever been about money to be fair. Point was if the OP is leaving a well paid role for better paid outside gigs he's going to have a nasty shock. Need to do his sums on inside gigs to be safe.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X