• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On call/Standby - whats your approach?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On call/Standby - whats your approach?

Always a difficult one - being the awkward contractor who thinks hes special always looks bad I've found. I always help out if I can.

Got stitched up in last place so should learn my lesson. Agreeing to help out for 3 months ended up being 2 years and it was an "off the record" TOIL deal. Never again.

Current place asked me in principal and I said I'd help out if I could but let me know the rate. Next thing I know, its been sent to the agency, and I've had an email with a new schedule from my umbrella. £3.21 an hour on call..... (which I'm pretty sure is what the permies get) Umm no thanks.......

Just wondered what everyone else agrees to in general? Surely something like 10%-20% of rate is average?

To put it into perspective, my mrs is a nurse (private company not NHS). Pay is not great. Her oncall rate is £9.50 an hour (which OK is pretty good).

Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

I'd be offering them a rate card similar to

- on call - my rate * 0.25
    - call outs: monthly invoice billed at minimum hours * myrate (say 10-20 hours per month), with the hours on a use-them-or-lose basis so this is invoiced even if you are not called out (you could offer them a partial carry-forward for un-used hours).
    - additional hours over and above those pre-invocied at myrate * 1.5.
    - Do they want in-hours on-call (mon-fri 9-5) or out of hours (evenings, nights, weekends)? If the latter, amend rates as appropriate

You can vary the multipliers as you see fit.

You'll need to agree an SLA, depending on what role you do. X hours to first response, Y hours to resolution (this might not be possible).

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

To put it into perspective, my mrs is a nurse (private company not NHS). Pay is not great. Her oncall rate is £9.50 an hour (which OK is pretty good).
      But she has to stay sober. And be good at her job.
      What about you?
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

- call outs: monthly invoice billed at minimum hours * myrate (say 10-20 hours per month), with the hours on a use-them-or-lose basis so this is invoiced even if you are not called out (you could offer them a partial carry-forward for un-used hours).
        - Do they want in-hours on-call (mon-fri 9-5) or out of hours (evenings, nights, weekends)? If the latter, amend rates as appropriate

You'll need to agree an SLA, depending on what role you do. X hours to first response, Y hours to resolution (this might not be possible).

Yeh 1/4 seems fair to me to be honest. At the moment I thinks its something like 1/30th!
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Always a difficult one
          Usually only for you
          - being the awkward contractor who thinks hes special always looks bad I've found.
          As opposed to your own experience of just being a bad contractor?
          I always help out if I can.
          And moan like stink to us afterwards. I thought you would have learned your lesson by now.
          Got stitched up in last place so should learn my lesson. Agreeing to help out for 3 months ended up being 2 years and it was an "off the record" TOIL deal. Never again.
          Until next time.
          Current place asked me in principal and I said I'd help out if I could but let me know the rate.
          So you learned your lesson and you said no thank you?
          Next thing I know, its been sent to the agency, and I've had an email with a new schedule from my umbrella. £3.21 an hour on call..... (which I'm pretty sure is what the permies get) Umm no thanks.......
          Oh, so you didn't learn your lesson, quelle surprise.
          Just wondered what everyone else agrees to in general? Surely something like 10%-20% of rate is average?

Quoting what a nurse gets in the public sector puts zero perspective on what a contractor gets in the private sector.

But seriously. Just say no. It's gonna make your brain hurt working it out and you aren't got to get what you really want so gonna end up moaning about that someway down the line.
          You are gonna moan if the call you out, you are gonna moan if they don't call you out, you are gonna moan when they call you out every night multiple times, you are gonna moan when you see how little of this you get after tax, you are gonna moan for years that another client stitched you up and it's all their fault and so on.

Just don't do it. Struggle on doing what you are contracted to do and forget all this nonesense. It's not for you.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

But if you want a serious answer then this covers it. Just picking a rate is going to end in tears, yours. You've got to cover your arse so you don't get multiple calls a night forever and all the above to make sure you aren't house bound for the rest of your life. Nothing good will come from just talking about a rate, there is much more to it than that and you've got to protect yourself. Can't have an open ended agreement so have to be very careful you nail it down hard or you are going to get absolutely shafted.

But better still.. honestly.. just say no.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You are Zammo and I claim my five pounds.

qh

He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

You are Zammo and I claim my five pounds.

qh
                Daaamn. Great call that one

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

But if you want a serious answer then this covers it. Just picking a rate is going to end in tears, yours. You've got to cover your arse so you don't get multiple calls a night forever and all the above to make sure you aren't house bound for the rest of your life. Nothing good will come from just talking about a rate, there is much more to it than that and you've got to protect yourself. Can't have an open ended agreement so have to be very careful you nail it down hard or you are going to get absolutely shafted.

This all the way

Comment

I try to push back as much as possible. Sometimes there is no avoiding it, in which case it has always been at my hourly rate * number of hours called out.

Comment

Working...
                    X