• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company purchase - Return of unwanted goods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company purchase - Return of unwanted goods

MyCo bought a laptop - a fairly hi-spec Dell XPS 13 - for the worker in the family to replace her aging Win 10 one. Turns out that a combination of her eyesight and the poor contrast of the keys on the Dell backlit keyboard means she finds it almost impossible to use under anything other than dim lighting.

However I can't send it back to Dell, since they are claiming that a company can only return goods that are faulty; the Consumer Rights protections do not apply to corporate purchases. So we are left with a solid and expensive laptop that she can't use and I don't need.

That seems a little unfair. Does anyone know if it is indeed the case?

Alternatively, anyone want a high quality, factory reset laptop for about a grand?
    Blog? What blog...?

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    MyCo bought a laptop - a fairly hi-spec Dell XPS 13 - for the worker in the family to replace her aging Win 10 one. Turns out that a combination of her eyesight and the poor contrast of the keys on the Dell backlit keyboard means she finds it almost impossible to use under anything other than dim lighting.

However I can't send it back to Dell, since they are claiming that a company can only return goods that are faulty; the Consumer Rights protections do not apply to corporate purchases. So we are left with a solid and expensive laptop that she can't use and I don't need.

Alternatively, anyone want a high quality, factory reset laptop for about a grand?
    that is the case.
    Some companies might give you a refund, and charge you a restocking fee.

Given the shortage I'm surprised Dell haven't made you an offer.
    Try local shops, but expect to lose 25% even if it's boxed and "as new".

And no, consumer rights aren't applicable to company purchase. It's why I buy devices personally and expense them to the company (can even get the invoice billed with a CO name and VAT number).
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

how old is it, and what's the spec?

Comment

Yep, consumer legislation does not apply to business to business transactions as you yourself have pointed out on here many times.

Just because it's a laptop doesn't mean anything else.

And unless you paid full price for it - you should make a profit on the laptop selling it on ebay. Why do you think I recommend Dell outlet when people are looking for a new laptop.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Yep, consumer legislation does not apply to business to business transactions as you yourself have pointed out on here many times.

Just because it's a laptop doesn't mean anything else.

And unless you paid full price for it - you should make a profit on the laptop selling it on ebay. Why do you think I recommend Dell outlet when people are looking for a new laptop.
          SSSSHHHHHH!! i woz first

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

how old is it, and what's the spec?
            Latest version Dell XPS 13 9315 I7, 16Gb RAM 512Gb SSD
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Latest version Dell XPS 13 9315 I7, 16Gb RAM 512Gb SSD
              What Screen type (not that I want it). There is a big price deferential between the FHD and 4k screens.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

What Screen type (not that I want it). There is a big price deferential between the FHD and 4k screens.
                It's a 4K
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's a 4K
                  which OS, how long have you had it, and how much do you want?
                  sorry for terse mode

Comment

It's a 4K
                    Tis a good deal then.

Comment

Working...
                    X