• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Xmas standown - not a fan

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmas standown - not a fan

Appreciate that we're not cheap resource and I appreciate some places can get a bit quiet but not a fan.....
    Its penny pinching a lot of the time. And no need for it. Also, some places are still busy - after all in a support environment servers dont know its xmas!

Current client decreed from above. Local managers going nuts because they're not short over the xmas period. 3 weeks notice for contactors - it just causes bad feeling. Imagine rocking up and telling client, oh by the way, I'm off on holidays for 3 weeks in 2 weeks time. Sorry! Yeh they'd go nuts.

Best one was client a few years ago. We were way behind on a major project that was due mid-Jan. But no exceptions.
    Came back after xmas and it was critical now. PM tried to tell everyone this had to be delivered and since we were on day rate he wanted 12 hours a day to get this done.
    Ummm nope. In the end missed the date by 3 weeks....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Well that's the whole idea of it, penny pinching, who cares if you like it or not, you can always find a new gig. The whole day rate + doing 12hrs to make up for lost work due to people being put on stand down is actually pretty clever I have to say...

Comment

I can't see what the problem is. things grind down as Christmas approaches and so it makes perfect sense to stop projects as people disappear off on holiday.

Got to say this client was as bad at providing notice as I expected but it wasn't at all unexpected - to the extent that I already had flights booked for 5pm of the final day before the furlough begins (should say it's my local airport so taxi at 15:45 will get me there in plenty of time).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

My last contract was like this, enforced furlough for all contractors, but managers could choose one or two in each dept for support cover. Tbh there were always plenty of money grabbers happy to escape the family over Christmas to take up the offer of paid work.

Can you ask if you can provide support over that period, they might make one or two exceptions?
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Enjoy the extra time off with your family

Comment

Every client i've been at with a furlough had an exemption process that started around October. This was for local teams to call out any contractors required for critical projects (eg, regulatory) or critical systems. It sounds like your client (or local managers) need to up their game.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
              Well that's the whole idea of it, penny pinching, who cares if you like it or not, you can always find a new gig. The whole day rate + doing 12hrs to make up for lost work due to people being put on stand down is actually pretty clever I have to say...
              clever if people are dull enough to do it granted!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I can't see what the problem is. things grind down as Christmas approaches and so it makes perfect sense to stop projects as people disappear off on holiday.

Got to say this client was as bad at providing notice as I expected but it wasn't at all unexpected - to the extent that I already had flights booked for 5pm of the final day before the furlough begins (should say it's my local airport so taxi at 15:45 will get me there in plenty of time).
                Well it does depend on your role. Project work yeh I can see that - support not so much I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                  Enjoy the extra time off with your family
                  It's his family that's pissed off they've got to spend more time with him
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This post should have been in General.

Therefore locked.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X