• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spain digital nomad visa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    [...]I've lived for 3+ months in Airbnb's here and not entirely sure if to pull the trigger on getting a more long term accommodation. Finding long term accommodation during the summer is also slightly more difficult as they would rather get tourists in at daily rates.
    [...]
    Mate of mine (from Poland, so EU) recently moved to Greece as he can work remotely from wherever and found it rather difficult to get a longer term rental (he got one in the end, but not after being left high and dry and having to move out in two days as the chap changed his mind). Main issue was that you are not local, you might ditch it and move out any minute etc. so the risk for them is higher.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Mate of mine (from Poland, so EU) recently moved to Greece as he can work remotely from wherever and found it rather difficult to get a longer term rental (he got one in the end, but not after being left high and dry and having to move out in two days as the chap changed his mind). Main issue was that you are not local, you might ditch it and move out any minute etc. so the risk for them is higher.
      they start to be less picky once outside the holiday season albeit with the caveat that plenty will expect you to vacate before the next holiday season.
      Which would not mind as you are never sure how long you would like to stay somewhere. I might find something off-putting after the next 4-5 months.

considering how cheap it currently is on airbnb, I do not find it an actual problem. the rental market is actually worse in the areas in demand in UK.

Comment

Long term rentals are widely available from 10th September (end of high season - beginning of school/ higher education cycle) until June (Spanish schools break up around 21st June). This is the model I favour, as I have no interest in tying up more equity in property.

One of the benefits of renting during this period in an obvious tourist area (e.g. beachfront) is that the second home/ holiday rental purpose of the whole block often means you will have near complete privacy for the period of rental (no noise from neighbours).

Another benefit, since the 9/10 month contract is unappealing to many, means you can achieve a rent that may be equivalent to 3-4% effective annual yield (based on the expected selling price of the property), which means it's a no-brainer to rent rather than buy. Typically the best rental deals are on the older properties (especially those without a/c) where the owner has already cleared the mortgage.

If you are prepared to select 2nd or 3rd line to the beach the savings can be even greater. That is a false economy in my opinion, trading quality of life for a few hundred euros per month, but all our situations are different.

I would suggest using Idealista ( https://idealista.com/ ) as a guide to understand the Spanish property market in the area you are targeting, however it is unlikely you will get any response from contacting ads (1) Unless you are communicating in Spanish (2) Unless you are located in Spain. For that reason, when you are serious about finding a property you should probably contact one or the larger agents in the area, especially if you are trying to coordinate everything from overseas. Although of course that means the price could be higher.
        ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
          Long term rentals are widely available from 10th September (end of high season - beginning of school/ higher education cycle) until June (Spanish schools break up around 21st June). This is the model I favour, as I have no interest in tying up more equity in property.
          Thank you for the advice, some of them I was aware but some of them were also only in my head.
          I do need to learn Spanish to be able to communicate properly, I can understand and speak a few words but far from being fluent.

my mind is set for Marbella or between Marbella and puerto banus for now. Not entirely convinced to pull the trigger but will see.

I live in Isle of Dogs in London with Thames view and it is indeed incomparable. As long as you live high enough so that you do not hear the party boars, the experience is incomparable.
          there is that show: “murder by the sea” where the say that there is something that attracts psychopaths, always wondered if it is me or it is only the beauty of nature…
          Last edited by GigiBronz; 24 July 2023, 06:49.

Comment

I found this graphic a helpful reminder, showing basic rules for travel in the EU.

‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
              I found this graphic a helpful reminder, showing basic rules for travel in the EU.
              It's not just EU citizens, it's citizens of any Schengen country as well - i.e. Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Lichtenstein

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

test

Comment

I managed to complete the process with my family. Good luck to those attempting it in 2024.

Comment

Well done! Interesting to hear details if you're willing to share?

Did you use/keep using your UK Ltd?

What docs were needed and how long to get them...etc

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                      I managed to complete the process with my family. Good luck to those attempting it in 2024.
                      Congrats.

I'd also be VERY interested to learn more.

Comment

Working...
                      X