• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work For startup cons?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work For startup cons?

Got offered to work for an US (direct) startup.
    they got few rounds of funding and expanding rapidly

good tech and good experience and 50% higher rate,
    but got a very long term stable contract atm so I’m on a fence

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
    Got offered to work for an US (direct) startup.
    they got few rounds of funding and expanding rapidly

good tech and good experience and 50% higher rate,
    but got a very long term stable contract atm so I’m on a fence
    The obvious con is that the rate is 50% higher at the moment but exchange rates may move against you.

I would be checking out what the going rate for your skillset is in the States as it may be 100% more than you are currently getting and that will give you a lot of leeway to increase it.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

They said “US devs are ridiculously expensive” sounded as if it was cheap for them. (And it’s top UK rate)

But yeah I find exchange another risk aside from not being able to enforce payment terms when it comes to that ?
      Last edited by GitMaster69; 19 October 2022, 10:43.

Comment

US rates are vastly higher than UK/EU rates, which is one reason I focus there.

Just bear in mind that, if they don't pay you, it won't be worth pursuing them.

Also, they will probably want the contract written with US jurisdiction and governing law (of a US state).

Comment

Yeah I’m cheap dev for them,
          gotta love Americans

Comment

Cons
            This is a made up story
            Start ups go bust regularly and the money runs out so high chance of the gig collapsing with no payment
            Depending on size it's all hands to the pump so likely to be expected to do everything and anything as the situation dictates. Rarely get left to deliver just your bit.
            Entrepreneurs that own these start ups can be utter AHoles.
            Exchange rate and complicated payment methods
            Contractual and insurance headache working with the US.
            Can't really be part of the excitement and drive of a start up being remote. Just faceless work with probably more pressure.

I'm biased though as I hate the idea of working for start ups. I get they can probably be the most exciting and rewarding places to work but bearing in mind in the UK 9 out of 10 start ups fail the chance to realise those benefits is few and far between. Add to that being remote you can't really be part of that exciting culture either.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Cons
              This is a made up story
              Start ups go bust regularly and the money runs out so high chance of the gig collapsing with no payment
              Depending on size it's all hands to the pump so likely to be expected to do everything and anything as the situation dictates. Rarely get left to deliver just your bit.
              Entrepreneurs that own these start ups can be utter AHoles.
              Exchange rate and complicated payment methods
              Contractual and insurance headache working with the US.
              Can't really be part of the excitement and drive of a start up being remote. Just faceless work with probably more pressure.

I'm biased though as I hate the idea of working for start ups. I get they can probably be the most exciting and rewarding places to work but bearing in mind in the UK 9 out of 10 start ups fail the chance to realise those benefits is few and far between. Add to that being remote you can't really be part of that exciting culture either.
              valuable input thank you,
              I flew through 2 stages with ease. Feels a trap in that sense
              reading on glassdor theres long hours involved.

Comment

Work for startup cons? Is that like the initial set up of an employee loan scheme?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Work for startup cons? Is that like the initial set up of an employee loan scheme?

Good spot. I can't read the title properly now you've pointed that out.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The main con is that you'd be working for a startup

Comment

Working...
                    X