• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work For startup cons?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Startup as in one guy in his garage, or startup as in 200 people and several $billion raised from funding?
    Startup looking to achieve something, or looking to be bought by a big boy?

As a contractor, the client not having a long-term future wouldn't be my biggest concern as long as I can get decent payment terms. I don't care if they are around in 5 years, I won't be.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post

valuable input thank you,
      I flew through 2 stages with ease. Feels a trap in that sense
      reading on glassdor theres long hours involved.
      Startups expect long hours.
      US firms expect long hours.

You will be in the intersection of these two sets.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Startups expect long hours.
        US firms expect long hours.

You will be in the intersection of these two sets.
        Yeah you need to really enjoy the work and not have too much of a busy life. For many that is a good match and they love the excitement but then as an employee you might own some shares. As a contractor you need to make sure the long hours are worthwhile financially. If you want to work 60 hour weeks for a bucket load of cash for a year, go for it.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Surely you'll retain your current gig and take this as well? US timezones make this even more logical.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
            Surely you'll retain your current gig and take this as well? US timezones make this even more logical.
            not possible, hybrid working atm
            but yeah, crossed my mind.

Thanks for feedback,
            will query that before accepting the contract,
            Last edited by GitMaster69; 19 October 2022, 15:29.

Comment

I'd definitely be getting payment terms tied down up front - as short as possible - and walk at the first sign of not being paid.

Comment

If you need tax or accounting advice on the US side I would like to recommend Liz Zitzow and her firm: https://www.britishamericantax.com/about-us/
                She is very good.
                I highly recommend.
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

Got offered to work for an US (direct) startup.
                  US clients can be incredibly demanding work wise. They can also threaten to sue at the drop of a hat if things aren't working.
                  Obviously depends on the end client, but I would take every precaution if you go down that route. E.g. make sure the contract is checked by a lawyer with experience in this area (US <-> UK ) and is water tight to prevent them trying to claim any damages and withholding payments.

This may have change but I was told the going rate (a few years ago) for contractors working for US starts up was around $100 an hour. I guess with the pound dropping the UK developers are looking more attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post

US clients can be incredibly demanding work wise. They can also threaten to sue at the drop of a hat if things aren't working.
                    Obviously depends on the end client, but I would take every precaution if you go down that route. E.g. make sure the contract is checked by a lawyer with experience in this area (US <-> UK ) and is water tight to prevent them trying to claim any damages and withholding payments.

This may have change but I was told the going rate (a few years ago) for contractors working for US starts up was around $100 an hour. I guess with the pound dropping the UK developers are looking more attractive.
                    800$ a day ?
                    little bit more than what I said I want and they accepted (to my surprise). According to them it's cheap so maybe the rates are even higher now. I heard it's quite ridiculous there atm from various sources, but I don't know what that ridiculous is

mulling getting some visa and go california with US rates being so high and pound so low
                    Last edited by GitMaster69; 20 October 2022, 10:00.

Comment

mulling getting some visa and go california with US rates being so high and pound so low
                      Zero chance of that unless you go perm and they do a HB visa.

Comment

Working...
                      X