• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 On 4 Off 12hr Shifts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 On 4 Off 12hr Shifts

My contract states I am limited to 42.5hrs a week though the company is asking me to join a 4x4 rota with 12hr shifts. That's 48hrs a week right.

I am understanding this correctly? I've heard from a colleague (permie) that the hours are worked out as an average factoring in the 4 days off you get. So using 12 x 4 / 8 x 7 we get 42 hours. But that's over 8 days. Fine if you are a permie but I am not.

The way I see it to make this work I could do say 3x 12hr shifts and a 6.5hr totaling 42.5hrs.

Any advice on how to approach this? Or let me know if I am way off!

Originally posted by Ninkasi View Post
    My contract states I am limited to 42.5hrs a week though the company is asking me to join a 4x4 rota with 12hr shifts. That's 48hrs a week right.

I am understanding this correctly? I've heard from a colleague (permie) that the hours are worked out as an average factoring in the 4 days off you get. So using 12 x 4 / 8 x 7 we get 42 hours. But that's over 8 days. Fine if you are a permie but I am not.

The way I see it to make this work I could do say 3x 12hr shifts and a 6.5hr totaling 42.5hrs.

You are way off - that 42.5 hours can be averaged out over 17 weeks and is what is occurring here (48M hours one week, 36 hours the next = a 42 hour week on average).

If you don't like it start looking elsewhere because that entire business / client will be based on that work pattern...
    Last edited by eek; 31 August 2022, 11:46.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Ninkasi View Post

Not sure what industry it is that you're working in, but if you're not happy then be prepared to walk away.

As for their calculation, it is correct. 4 on, 4 off is not the same as 5 on 2 off. You're working 48 hours every 8 days. You're NOT working 48 hours "per week". When you factor in the 4 off, it means you're working the equivalent of a 42 hour week

If you would prefer to work 42 hours as 3x12 and 1x6, then you could propose that to the company, but I suspect it will mess up their capacity planning having you working Monday-Thursday every week, where you'll be with different groups during your working week.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Are you inside or outside IR35?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Are you inside or outside IR35?
          shifts = inside IMO. Every day.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
          X