• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yes, it's 100% remote but you have to stay in the UK - why?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post

So ask them but given that you need them more than they probably need you I don't think you would get a sensible answer...
    There is a risk he's going to come over as a pain in the arse to the client as well as on here if he does and doesn't leave it alone when he has his answer though. I'm sure a pissy contractor questioning policies is really going to endear himself to his client.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ignoring legal and compliance reasons I suspect it is to stop people taking the piss and billing whilst on holiday.

Comment

Eek twin A mentioned 2 examples yesterday both of which were obviously stupid and both resulted in instant firing for gross misconduct (the one I can remember is a border control officer trying to bypass queues at Heathrow)

One reason for clue cut rules is because a lot of people are beyond stupid so you need to make things simple to avoid issues.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by gisp View Post

If inside ir35, insurance is irrelevant.

​​​​​If not, one will have insurance and I don't know if it has geographic limitation. But it doesn't matter as the insurer will not know where you were when an insurance event happen.

if one feels adventurous, client doesn't need to know. If executed right they will never know.
          I actually helped a few people doing it. 12 months and 2 extensions, all is good.
          Get an Asus router for home - setup a VPN with a static IP address.

Then which is better:

1) Get another Asus router for travel - set it up so it does all the traffic over the Asus router at your home

or

2) Use a VPN client on the PC that disconnects from network if VPN disconnects

Comment

In my view, it's unethical to use technical solutions to cover-up operating from another country when connecting to client systems. And in any case, there's still a good risk of getting discovered.

If the client is agreeable to overseas remote access working, that's fine, and with their agreement one can take their laptop abroad or they may provide VDI or whatever. It's the sneaking around that I don't think is reasonable.

There may be perfectly legitimate reasons why one might need to provide services from abroad; this should be discussed with the client and the necessary agreements reached.

Even then, the appropriate remote working visas etc need to be sorted out.

Boring, I know.
            Last edited by Protagoras; 28 August 2022, 20:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
              Even then, the appropriate remote working visas etc need to be sorted out.

Boring, I know.
              And then there's taxation questions and social payments, if inside IR35.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by bballer3221 View Post

Get an Asus router for home - setup a VPN with a static IP address.

Then which is better:

1) Get another Asus router for travel - set it up so it does all the traffic over the Asus router at your home

or

2) Use a VPN client on the PC that disconnects from network if VPN disconnects
                haha he's back with his bulltulip

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                  Ignoring legal and compliance reasons I suspect it is to stop people taking the piss and billing whilst on holiday.
                  I am believe this is the real, real reason why companies do it - then secondly about the 'data security'

Comment

Originally posted by dranzer01 View Post

I am believe this is the real, real reason why companies do it - then secondly about the 'data security'
                    If you've ever worked in any industry that works with personal/sensitive personal data, then you'd know that data security is critical, it's not just about unprofessional "contractors" who think they are above the regulations.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by dranzer01 View Post

The real reason is that they are paying for the work to be done and are free to dictate how and where it is done.

If you don't like it don't take the contract.

Comment

Working...
                      X