• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you deal with "it's a remote contact but... we expect everyone in the office"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

We already have NLUK forum policing, we don't need another
    It appears I'm not doing a very good job of it though.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

One thing I don't miss - being hauled into client's office because I spent 20 minutes looking at my phone in my lunch hour
      Once got in the office to have the Project Manager have a go at me for seemingly not doing anything while working from home the day before. Let her finish then told her to go and find the e-mail where we agreed I wasn't working that day.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Only had that once - why were you on your phone?

Because I was getting my mate to help out and fix your problem which given the fact he was going it on the QT meant I couldn't talk to him except via my phone.

PS he's my resignation - I'm generous I'll stay until Friday....
        I do find when things start to get petty it is time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Once got in the office to have the Project Manager have a go at me for seemingly not doing anything while working from home the day before. Let her finish then told her to go and find the e-mail where we agreed I wasn't working that day.
          That’s a delicious story… tell us what happened next?
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

That’s a delicious story… tell us what happened next?
            He finished it off with 'Nice rack luv now make me a coffee' and got walked off site.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Only had that once - why were you on your phone?

Because I was getting my mate to help out and fix your problem which given the fact he was going it on the QT
              If he was on some QT, I hardly think he’d take your call about a computing problem. Not exactly romantic…

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

If he was on some QT, I hardly think he’d take your call about a computing problem. Not exactly romantic…

On the quiet- not quality time…
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

On the quiet- not quality time…
                  I thought it was short for cutey or as the French say LHOOQ

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

I do find when things start to get petty it is time to move on.
                    'tractor I worked with a couple years back took a long lunch (1.5 hours) to interview for another contract, and got scolded for taking too long for lunch by a permie (same job equivalent, not a manager).

Sealed the deal on taking said role, as he hadn't been sure if he really wanted to move or not.
                    Not that the client or the permie cared I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

'tractor I worked with a couple years back took a long lunch (1.5 hours) to interview for another contract, and got scolded for taking too long for lunch by a permie (same job equivalent, not a manager).

Sealed the deal on taking said role, as he hadn't been sure if he really wanted to move or not.
                      Not that the client or the permie cared I'm sure.
                      Depends on the size of the team. I'm often a one man band because of the nature of the project and the fact I can more than adequately perform all the main roles (Architect / Functional / Dev)...

In my case the permie did care because she was a PM and on the Thursday she was given the project to finish off with little budget left and no developer...
                      Last edited by eek; 25 August 2022, 10:14.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X