• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Work must be undertaken in the UK - outside IR35 contract clause

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post
    a load of complete drivel...
    Your advice is generally terrible but I think you've really scraped beyond the bottom of the barrel with that trolling.

Comment

Not only does it give you a nice secure tunnel back to the UK, it masks your true location.
      It does mask your true location but also identifies you as a high risk user for most identity protection systems. It will flag as "anonymous VPN" and likely get security more interested in you than just working from a beach resort, as it implies a level of dishonesty.
      So it's a really dumb idea.

The only way to guarantee a higher risk tag for you is to use the TOR network to work from abroad. Which is slightly more dumb.

Even more dumb, would be to give you login details to Bob Shawaddiwaddi in Bangalore and pay him 10% of your day rate to do the job.

All those suggestions are in the same ball park. All represent a potential contract breach. All have been done with some successes and some failures.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

One of my clients also had this nonsense rule about not working from abroad, the role was a digital transformation architect for an airline. I never even had access to customer data, my access was literally test data and test systems only at that point. They also had IT staff working for them in many other countries already.
        Could you name the airline please so the rest of us can avoid using them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Could you name the airline please so the rest of us can avoid using them.
          Could be one of many...
          https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52722626
          https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57734946
          https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-57210118
          https://www.csoonline.com/article/35...ess-crede.html
          https://www.computerweekly.com/news/...reach-response

etc.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I recall a colleague being forced to fly his laptop back from India after he logged in whilst visiting relatives!

Comment

Utter tulip.
              I don't even know where to being with this pile of stinking excrement.

You must work completely differently to absolutely everyone on this board as your staggering arrogance towards your client would get you walked in any role I've ever done.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 4 July 2022, 10:01.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Your advice is generally terrible but I think you've really scraped beyond the bottom of the barrel with that trolling.
                Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I don't even know where to being with this pile of stinking excrement.

You must work completely differently to absolutely everyone on this board as your staggering arrogance towards your client would get you walked in any role I've ever done.

You guys are polite.

We all know who doesn't bother having conversations with the cybersecurity and infrastructure guys.

I had a client who walked a contractor for doing what the ConsultingTechArchitect states even though the work wasn't on a secure project.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

It does mask your true location but also identifies you as a high risk user for most identity protection systems. It will flag as "anonymous VPN" and likely get security more interested in you than just working from a beach resort, as it implies a level of dishonesty.
                  So it's a really dumb idea.

The only way to guarantee a higher risk tag for you is to use the TOR network to work from abroad. Which is slightly more dumb.

Even more dumb, would be to give you login details to Bob Shawaddiwaddi in Bangalore and pay him 10% of your day rate to do the job.

All those suggestions are in the same ball park. All represent a potential contract breach. All have been done with some successes and some failures.
                  That's why you use a private VPN and not a provider with IP addresses listed publicly, you can also set this up yourself in AWS/GCP etc.

If your role only involves accessing SaaS systems and Office 365, there's even less chance anyone will know you're not in the UK.

Here's a few other people that have made this work: https://www.euronews.com/travel/2021...working-abroad
                  Last edited by ConsultingTechArchitect; 4 July 2022, 10:59.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You guys are polite.

We all know who doesn't bother having conversations with the cybersecurity and infrastructure guys.

I had a client who walked a contractor for doing what the ConsultingTechArchitect states even though the work wasn't on a secure project.
                    The worrying bit is that he claims he is an architect - which means his job is to care about things such as data security...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That's why you use a private VPN and not a provider with IP addresses listed publicly, you can also set this up yourself in AWS/GCP etc.
                      Just keep digging....
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X