• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do recruiters ask for your rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typical things that an unscrupulous agent might lie about on adverts or during a first chat in order to hook you in.

1. The Rate
    2. Inside/Outside status
    3. Length (if it is three months, they might advertise it as six)
    4. Number of days per week you can work from home
    5. An extensions is a sure thing
    6. The prestige of a client ("my prestigious client", who i never heard of before)
    7. Im going to send your CV over (when they don't)

Comment

Originally posted by ConsultingTechArchitect View Post
      I've got an interview set up for Friday, I'm going to ask about rate and see if the client are happy that the contractor is trying to pocket the arbitrage on accepted rate vs top end budget.
      Maybe read one of your contracts and see what it says about discussing rates, or speak to a contract lawyer to explain it to you.
      And it’s not “arbitrage”. They agree a rate with the client and agree a rate with the contractor. The difference is their pay for doing the job of sourcing, selecting and negotiating.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Maybe read one of your contracts and see what it says about discussing rates, or speak to a contract lawyer to explain it to you.
        And it’s not “arbitrage”. They agree a rate with the client and agree a rate with the contractor. The difference is their pay for doing the job of sourcing, selecting and negotiating.
        This.

It's been a fairly standard clause in many of my contracts that the rate is confidential and should not be disclosed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          Typical things that an unscrupulous agent might lie about on adverts or during a first chat in order to hook you in.

1. The Rate
          2. Inside/Outside status
          3. Length (if it is three months, they might advertise it as six)
          4. Number of days per week you can work from home
          5. An extensions is a sure thing
          6. The prestige of a client ("my prestigious client", who i never heard of before)
          7. Im going to send your CV over (when they don't)
          I am pretty sure some agents I have encountered use false names.

Comment

I've got an interview set up for Friday, I'm going to ask about rate and see if the client are happy that the contractor is trying to pocket the arbitrage on accepted rate vs top end budget. I'm not desperate for the role so don't care if I burn it.
            What makes you think the hiring manager knows the rate on offer?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I am pretty sure some agents I have encountered use false names.
              And multiple email addresses. And gmail email addresses for other subterfuge.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

This.

It's been a fairly standard clause in many of my contracts that the rate is confidential and should not be disclosed.
                Because the last thing anyone wants to know is that the new temp is on 50% more than they are...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

What makes you think the hiring manager knows the rate on offer?
                  Turns out he does know the rate. Assumption validated.

Client said the rate is a range based on experience but the first ad was correct, he expects the recruiter to deal with rate negotiations. I now have a voicemail from the recruiter asking me to deal with him directly on issues regarding rate.

I have a feeling the recruiter is pissed off.

For those saying this isn't arbitrage, yes it is. The fee for your services is whatever you set, not whatever you set plus the difference you can make if you squeeze the contractor. **** this recruiter.

and I got the role, just haven't agreed rate with the recruiter. Might ghost him for a while, make him sweat, then decline if one of my other applications comes back good.
                  Last edited by ConsultingTechArchitect; 10 June 2022, 09:21.

Comment

Turns out he does know the rate. Assumption validated.

Client said the rate is a range based on experience but the first ad was correct, he expects the recruiter to deal with rate negotiations he is paid a percentage on top of that. I now have a voicemail from the recruiter asking me to deal with him directly on issues regarding rate.

I have a feeling the recruiter is pissed off.

For those saying this isn't arbitrage, yes it is. The fee for your services is whatever you set, not whatever you set plus the difference you can make if you squeeze the contractor. **** this recruiter.

and I got the role, just haven't agreed rate with the recruiter. Might ghost him for a while, make him sweat, then decline if one of my other applications comes back good.
                    Cool story bro.

Quoting it so that when you come back and edit/delete it later, it's not just the mods who can see what you wrote.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

and I got the role, just haven't agreed rate with the recruiter.
                      you haven't got anything yet. Not until you've signed a contract and are logged on to the clients systems.
                      Here's a possible scenario....

- recruiter is pissed off with you. Quite rightly.
                      - recruiter has another possible candidate
                      - recruiter sets up interview for other candidate
                      - interview goes well
                      - recruiter tells the client that are not available any more, and are a bit of a dick as well as you tried to hike your rate after the interview
                      - YOU DON'T GET THE ROLE

Whatever you do never forget that you are simply an easy to find, replaceable resource who is far too costly for the client to mess around with someone who might even in the slightest chance turn out to be a bit of a twat. If you're a twat to the recruiter then that information harms your case and negotiation.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X