• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thoughts on negotiating expenses for travel?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on negotiating expenses for travel?

Hey all - looking for some seasoned advice!

I've been contracting for years, but have found myself in my first outside-ir35 gig, also for one of the largest organisations I've worked with. So relatively new territory.

I started mid lockdown, so it was 100% remote. But over time, they've insisted all people within the team I report to attend office twice a week.

In an organisation of 10s of 1000s, I'm one of 10 or so people that are based outside the area. Therefore my commute is long and expensive. The length of commute, I can deal with. The expense..,.

A friend of mine suggested that, because the requirement to attend the office was not specified in the scope-of-work, that the request to attend office is something that is expenseable directly from the client. Does that sound right? I've only ever worked inside-ir35, via umbrellas, whereby expenses are essentially a tax based affair, so this is new territory for me.

You can try but I don’t think it will get you far. This should have been included in your negotiations at the start of the contract.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      You can try but I don’t think it will get you far. This should have been included in your negotiations at the start of the contract.
      This.

What does it say in the contract? Even though people are working 100% from home contracts still say travel to the office when required. You should have brought this up in the interview as the world is constantly changing so would have been wise to cover it at the time. If it clearly says 100% WFH in the contract you should be OK but anything else then travel is your responsibility.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would discuss this with the agent and/or PM. I would have thought this is a valid request. At the least you might be able to reduce your presence.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

you can ask, but don't hold your breath. You *might* be able to get a small rate increase due to increased costs.

But you're likely going to have to suck it up or leave. Time to find some cheap digs. One night a week isn't gonna be too bad, and you can get crappy hotels full of builders for < £50 a night. Clean sheets and a shower are all you need.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It's the kind of thing that's probably best brought up at contract renewal time.
            When is your contract next up for renewal?
            Are you direct with the client or through an agency?
            How long is the commute?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              I would discuss this with the agent and/or PM. I would have thought this is a valid request. At the least you might be able to reduce your presence.
              I think you are right in some circumstances but I don't think forgetting to ask in a world that is moving from 100% WFH to a flexible presence is that valid. You'd have to have your head firmly in the ground not to see the noise in the news about back to office so more valid would be to clarify the situation first. Even in the old days where WFH was fairly uncommon it was good sense to check.

Therefore my commute is long and expensive. The length of commute, I can deal with. The expense..,.
              Need more info about this. A long commute to some is a normal one to others. Same with cost. I regularly work away so staying over is to be expected where some people think a couple of 100's of miles a week is unpalatable. Also there is some context here. You are selling your services to a client for a 6 figure sum so some travel expenses are pretty insignificant in the greater scheme. Give us some numbers.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 18 May 2022, 12:19.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I think you are right in some circumstances but I don't think forgetting to ask in a world that is moving from 100% WFH to a flexible presence is that valid. You'd have to have your head firmly in the ground not to see the noise in the news about back to office so more valid would be to clarify the situation first. Even in the old days where WFH was fairly uncommon it was good sense to check.

Need more info about this. A long commute to some is a normal one to others. Same with cost. I regularly work away so staying over is to be expected where some people think a couple of 100's of miles a week is unpalatable. Also there is some context here. You are selling your services to a client for a 6 figure sum so some travel expenses are pretty insignificant in the greater scheme. Give us some numbers.
                I see many contracts advertised as remote with no mention of travel or having to be in the office.

I presume the OP negotiated on those terms otherwise he wouldn't now be asking, because he would have been reminded at every renewal.

If you're right it should be in the contract that he's expected to be in the office. If there is nothing in the contract then it would be assumed to be remote as that is the way he's been working.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I see many contracts advertised as remote with no mention of travel or having to be in the office.

I presume the OP negotiated on those terms otherwise he wouldn't now be asking, because he would have been reminded at every renewal.

If you're right it should be in the contract that he's expected to be in the office. If there is nothing in the contract then it would be assumed to be remote as that is the way he's been working.
                  I turned down a role a few month back, the agent said it was 100% WFH, but when I asked, they said it was 100% "for now, due to the circumstances". On further digging, they talked about "occasional trips to the office", which the client wasn't prepared to cover. I then suggested I would do up to 3 consecutive days per month in the office, if it was more they needed to pay for it.
                  At that point the truth became clear and I walked away, since they wouldn't amend the contract to state that they would pay expenses if the trips were more frequent.

*Please note, I am not averse from working away from home, but I want to make sure that is factored in to the costs of running my business.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yep seen the same although, maybe it's just me, but I've always seen this remote working as a temporary response to the pandemic, not the new norm. Because of that I'd not be assuming no mention is the given way. I would always assume it will always going to be a temporary covid measure unless explicitly mentioned and I'd make sure it is explicitly mentioned, just as WTFH explains above.
                    So I see what you are saying so my view on this situation is very personal.

Comment

Working...
                    X