• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to the EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
    Moot point but perhaps I should've clarified any way. My contract is 100% WFH and runs till the end of the year (extension potential) I'd just like to spend the next 3-6 months somewhere new really and wish the logistics were straight forward when in fact they're seemingly not. Sigh.
    So you want to work your UK contract while being based in EU.

Ask your client because you may not even be allowed to do that. Some industries require you to be physically based in the UK.

Comment

If you think times are rough here, you're in for a shock when you go to the EU.

I'm afraid "Brexit Bad" will only get you so far in life.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

oh yeah, all those EU suckers having to eat sad fish instead of the happier british fish.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

So you want to work your UK contract while being based in EU.

Ask your client because you may not even be allowed to do that. Some industries require you to be physically based in the UK.
          NPPV3 is only valid within the UK so any contracts requiring this shouldn't be worked on overseas - regardless of what the end client says.

Comment

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post

Any thoughts?
            Some of the bitter responses in this thread lol

Check out the digital nomad websites and also keep an eye on Spain as their nomad visa is due to be launched by the end of this summer. Run the U.K limited as a bridge for a time, pay u.k corp tax, pay salary into Spanish account in euros and then pay Spanish income tax.

If you cant wait, other option is to sell up and get a 500k euro mortgage in Spain/Portugal as both operate golden visa tickets, i think, at that level.

If Spain does what it says its going to do with the Nomad visa, you wont see me for dust and any contract that prevents that can go shove it tbh.

If you dont have a missus and are young, the Dubai digital visa is 5k and no income tax. Housing costs are about double but utilities bills are peanuts and theres no council tax.

@mods it would be good, to get a list of people that advise on this type of stuff as i expect the flood gates are not far away from opening on this pandoras box.

Last edited by Bluenose; 9 May 2022, 06:44.

Comment

Having just come back from holiday I wouldn't mind working from the Canary Islands for a bit, anyone have any experience of doing this and any potential issues?
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

+1 to bluenose (at least at the high level, as I can't say I've researched into the details of visa and personal tax rules Spain and Portugal). It's also worth realising that you don't necessarily need to incorporate your business in the same country you live in. So you can continue to work through a UK Ltd (and pay UK corporation taxes etc) while living abroad (and paying the relevant personal taxes for the country you are tax resident of - which is usually the one you reside in). Or you can incorporate in a different country (and pay the corporate taxes there, possibly as low as 0% for some countries), and then pay the relevant personal taxes in the country you're a tax resident of.

Massive bonus is no UK presence = no IR35 nonsense (probably putting you at a massive competitive advantage for 'inside' contracts, vs UK tax residents).

However, I can imagine some clients, and many agencies, will struggle to comprehend 99% of the above, so you'd better be in demand.

NB: Not advice - international tax and visa law is very complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post

Massive bonus is no UK presence = no IR35 nonsense (probably putting you at a massive competitive advantage for 'inside' contracts, vs UK tax residents).

Love to know how you think that works - for an inside contract HMRC will expect to see the appropriate tax paid via PAYE / RTI....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Love to know how you think that works - for an inside contract HMRC will expect to see the appropriate tax paid via PAYE / RTI....
                    Practically speaking, I suppose you would have a non-resident tax code for the PAYE/EeNI, but there is the ErNI and probably no arguments there (all of this assumes you are pushing it through your own company too). So, yes, not as easy as man thinks.

Comment

Plus it's actually quite hard to become non-resident post the SRT.

Comment

Working...
                      X