• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Termination of contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Termination of contract

    I was six weeks into a three month contract which I hated. Didn't like the ways of working at all. Decided to give notice, I had a four week notice period so it would shorten the contract by two weeks. Had every intention of working my notice period. But as soon as I gave notice the client terminated my contract with immediate effect. Can they do this? Have had contracts terminated before and just sucked it up as clients can terminate as they choose. Nothing wrong with my work btw, just been contracting for 25 years so have had the odd termination for no fault of my own. But this leaves a sour taste. Quite simply done just to save paying 4 weeks notice period. Can I take the agent to small claims court as it's a breach of contract? Or just accept it. Just seems like if I don't do anything they will always do this and think it's OK.

    #2
    What notice period are they required to give? My last six monther gave notice mid december (six weeks before it was due to end) then they said "We require contractors to take 2 weeks off at Christmas". Contract stated 4 week notice and agent informed them I'd be working it all, bless him.

    it happens, but if you are owed a notice period invoice and see what comes of it.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by kingmob View Post
      What notice period are they required to give? My last six monther gave notice mid december (six weeks before it was due to end) then they said "We require contractors to take 2 weeks off at Christmas". Contract stated 4 week notice and agent informed them I'd be working it all, bless him.

      it happens, but if you are owed a notice period invoice and see what comes of it.
      Rubbish. The contract is still running, but they aren't going to give you any more work so you won't get paid.

      Notice periods for temporary workers are a nonsense idea anyway. Just get back on the market
      Blog? What blog...?

      Comment


        #4
        You can't sue the client because your contract is with the agency. I suspect that the agency hasn't terminated the contract but will only pay the hours you work and the client isn't letting you. Suing the agency would be complex, because there is probably no clause that guarantees work. The client won't care if you sue the agency and you'll end up with a huge bill to no avail.

        I would move on, the client will terminate when they want, they'll make sure there are no clauses to stop them doing it. You could try demanding guarantees but I suspect the agency will refuse.

        The notice period protects you from the agency terminating prematurely when the client has work. What it doesn't do is protect you from the client stopping a project or deciding not to provide work.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 2 May 2022, 14:08.
        I'm alright Jack

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
          I was six weeks into a three month contract which I hated. Didn't like the ways of working at all. Decided to give notice, I had a four week notice period so it would shorten the contract by two weeks. Had every intention of working my notice period. But as soon as I gave notice the client terminated my contract with immediate effect. Can they do this? Have had contracts terminated before and just sucked it up as clients can terminate as they choose. Nothing wrong with my work btw, just been contracting for 25 years so have had the odd termination for no fault of my own. But this leaves a sour taste. Quite simply done just to save paying 4 weeks notice period. Can I take the agent to small claims court as it's a breach of contract? Or just accept it. Just seems like if I don't do anything they will always do this and think it's OK.
          It's petty, but let it go. You said s***w them, so the client didn't like it. At least you are out. You had one really bad apple of gig in 25 years. You are joking, ok? Ok?

          Can you start the next contract (assuming you have it lined up) sooner, 2 weeks earlier?
          Otherwise just take the bench-time as a proper holiday (avoid burn-out is good for your mental health) and start the next gig on the date that you both agreed.

          Lesson here: "it's all about the Benjamins (US dollars the money incoming into your pocket)" Puff Daddy - so make sure before you walk yourself out (resign), have the next one ready to go.

          Comment


            #6
            You really need to understand the contacts that you sign better. There will be a clause in there that says you get paid upon receipt of a signed time sheet or something like that. You don't do work, you don't get a signed timesheet, you don't get paid. Effective instant dismissal. Giving notice on the contract is one thing, doing work and getting paid is something else.
            It's a T&M contract. You only get paid for the work you do.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

            Comment


              #7
              I assume you had another gig lined up so suck it up and move on.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
                I was six weeks into a three month contract which I hated. Didn't like the ways of working at all. Decided to give notice, I had a four week notice period so it would shorten the contract by two weeks. Had every intention of working my notice period. But as soon as I gave notice the client terminated my contract with immediate effect. Can they do this? Have had contracts terminated before and just sucked it up as clients can terminate as they choose. Nothing wrong with my work btw, just been contracting for 25 years so have had the odd termination for no fault of my own. But this leaves a sour taste. Quite simply done just to save paying 4 weeks notice period. Can I take the agent to small claims court as it's a breach of contract? Or just accept it. Just seems like if I don't do anything they will always do this and think it's OK.
                If you've been contracting for 25 years and still have to ask this question there is something here not being said
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

                I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

                  If you've been contracting for 25 years and still have to ask this question there is something here not being said
                  That was my first thought as well. I get it might be a new situation but you'd think after that length of time someone would have a fair grasp of the absolute basics of their engagement and their contracts.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    If you were relying on the 4 weeks of income from the notice period then you probably won't make this mistake again.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X