• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Termination of contract"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

Because I didn't agree with how they were testing things there. Very unstructured, wing and a prayer. Nobody really knew what they were doing.
    I might be going out on a limb here, but maybe they know they’re not very good at testing so they brought in an expensive contractor to help them….and they got the wrong guy.

Leave a comment:

• avonleigh
    replied
    Originally posted by hobnob View Post

Just out of curiosity, why did you give notice? I can understand leaving early on, if you hate the work. However, if you're planning to stick with it for 10 weeks out of 12, it seems like you might as well see it through to the end.
    Because I didn't agree with how they were testing things there. Very unstructured, wing and a prayer. Nobody really knew what they were doing.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    I was six weeks into a three month contract which I hated. Didn't like the ways of working at all. Decided to give notice, I had a four week notice period so it would shorten the contract by two weeks.
    Just out of curiosity, why did you give notice? I can understand leaving early on, if you hate the work. However, if you're planning to stick with it for 10 weeks out of 12, it seems like you might as well see it through to the end.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Yes I understand that. The point is I have worked as a contractor for 25 years. Whilst I have given notice very few times I know many people who have done so. Not once have I ever seen anyone been terminated cos of it. It's pathetic but yes I will suck it up.
    Did you actually check with the company the amount of notice that your agency put in your contract matches what is in their contract? And it covers all circumstances?

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied

Yes I understand that. The point is I have worked as a contractor for 25 years. Whilst I have given notice very few times I know many people who have done so. Not once have I ever seen anyone been terminated cos of it. It's pathetic but yes I will suck it up.
    It's not pathetic. Many firms will ship permies straight out the door when they resign or are made redundant so why would you expect different treatment as a contingent worker?

From a redundancy perspective I think phone call, sign this and **** off is much more humane than being placed at risk etc. If it were happening to me I would just rather receive the call at 6am to avoid the trip into the office.

Leave a comment:

• avonleigh
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Good grief. I cannot believe someone has been contracting for 25 years, had a 'few' terminations yet thinks serving and getting paid during the notice period is the norm. Unless that is, they are a permietractor
    Yep, as I said the few times I have given notice I was always paid my notice. Everybody I know who has given notice has also been paid. It's not a biggie. Just I will never give notice again. If I am in a crap gig I will either stay till the end or just quit without notice and jump to another gig. Not good for the client but then you can't have it both ways.

Leave a comment:

• avonleigh
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You really need to understand the contacts that you sign better. There will be a clause in there that says you get paid upon receipt of a signed time sheet or something like that. You don't do work, you don't get a signed timesheet, you don't get paid. Effective instant dismissal. Giving notice on the contract is one thing, doing work and getting paid is something else.
    It's a T&M contract. You only get paid for the work you do.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Good grief. I cannot believe someone has been contracting for 25 years, had a 'few' terminations yet thinks serving and getting paid during the notice period is the norm. Unless that is, they are a permietractor

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You can go quietly or they can make up something about you with matching evidence to protect themselves if you cause trouble.

Which do you prefer?

BTW I have been paid notice when a contract has ended early but I was direct with the client. The money came from their client.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    If you were relying on the 4 weeks of income from the notice period then you probably won't make this mistake again.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

If you've been contracting for 25 years and still have to ask this question there is something here not being said
    That was my first thought as well. I get it might be a new situation but you'd think after that length of time someone would have a fair grasp of the absolute basics of their engagement and their contracts.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I was six weeks into a three month contract which I hated. Didn't like the ways of working at all. Decided to give notice, I had a four week notice period so it would shorten the contract by two weeks. Had every intention of working my notice period. But as soon as I gave notice the client terminated my contract with immediate effect. Can they do this? Have had contracts terminated before and just sucked it up as clients can terminate as they choose. Nothing wrong with my work btw, just been contracting for 25 years so have had the odd termination for no fault of my own. But this leaves a sour taste. Quite simply done just to save paying 4 weeks notice period. Can I take the agent to small claims court as it's a breach of contract? Or just accept it. Just seems like if I don't do anything they will always do this and think it's OK.
    If you've been contracting for 25 years and still have to ask this question there is something here not being said

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    I assume you had another gig lined up so suck it up and move on.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You really need to understand the contacts that you sign better. There will be a clause in there that says you get paid upon receipt of a signed time sheet or something like that. You don't do work, you don't get a signed timesheet, you don't get paid. Effective instant dismissal. Giving notice on the contract is one thing, doing work and getting paid is something else.
    It's a T&M contract. You only get paid for the work you do.

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    I was six weeks into a three month contract which I hated. Didn't like the ways of working at all. Decided to give notice, I had a four week notice period so it would shorten the contract by two weeks. Had every intention of working my notice period. But as soon as I gave notice the client terminated my contract with immediate effect. Can they do this? Have had contracts terminated before and just sucked it up as clients can terminate as they choose. Nothing wrong with my work btw, just been contracting for 25 years so have had the odd termination for no fault of my own. But this leaves a sour taste. Quite simply done just to save paying 4 weeks notice period. Can I take the agent to small claims court as it's a breach of contract? Or just accept it. Just seems like if I don't do anything they will always do this and think it's OK.
    It's petty, but let it go. You said s***w them, so the client didn't like it. At least you are out. You had one really bad apple of gig in 25 years. You are joking, ok? Ok?

Can you start the next contract (assuming you have it lined up) sooner, 2 weeks earlier?
    Otherwise just take the bench-time as a proper holiday (avoid burn-out is good for your mental health) and start the next gig on the date that you both agreed.

Lesson here: "it's all about the Benjamins (US dollars the money incoming into your pocket)" Puff Daddy - so make sure before you walk yourself out (resign), have the next one ready to go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X