• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Survey... in, out, shake it all about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Oops I did mean to add that one. Well how about that, the new frum software lets me add more options. So there you go
    Click it multiple times.
    Can we have a Plan B option (as both myself and AtW as a minimum fall into that category).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Can we have a Plan B option (as both myself and AtW as a minimum fall into that category).
      My Plan B is coming along nicely

Biggest problem... timing of extraction from lucrative plan A that means taking a short term financial hit
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Well why not.

I'm quite impressed the bulk seem to remain outside. And curious how our sole-trader manages, unless that's perhaps a side-line. I had always thought it was virtually impossible to get work this way unless it's "my mate needs a website for his company"?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Well why not.

I'm quite impressed the bulk seem to remain outside. And curious how our sole-trader manages, unless that's perhaps a side-line. I had always thought it was virtually impossible to get work this way unless it's "my mate needs a website for his company"?
          A lot of graphic designers and arty types seem to be sole-traders.

I have no sources to back that up with.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

A lot of graphic designers and arty types seem to be sole-traders.

I have no sources to back that up with.
            You can be a sole trader provided:-

1) there is no real risk of professional liability coming back and biting you.
            2) you are going direct to the client and no agency is involved (Agency regulations in 1977 stopped agencies employing people on a PAYE basis which is the point where limited companies started being used).

So yep - a lot of arty / marketing / advertising stuff is sole-trader based.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Surprised so many still have Outside contracts when apparently the risks are too great...

Comment

Surely inside Ir35 contract == umbrella as otherwise you are certified insane.
                But Umbrella != Inside Ir35 contract

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
                  Surprised so many still have Outside contracts when apparently the risks are too great...
                  It’s a bit self-selecting, purely anecdotal. The people that still hang around here will probably disproportionately work on outside contracts.

Comment

You can be a sole trader provided:-

1) there is no real risk of professional liability coming back and biting you.
                    2) you are going direct to the client and no agency is involved (Agency regulations in 1977 stopped agencies employing people on a PAYE basis which is the point where limited companies started being used).

So yep - a lot of arty / marketing / advertising stuff is sole-trader based.
                    You absolutely can be a ST but the issue seems to be few companies want to work that way. I really like the ST model in principle instead of being virtually forced to set up a company, though no idea how it compares in tax burden? If you were a ST during lockdown you could get a huge bucket of money too

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
                      The client decides now, so surely they shoulder the risk? Isn't that the whole point, which is why so many go blanket-inside for risk avoidance.

Comment

Working...
                      X