• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Survey... in, out, shake it all about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

It’s a bit self-selecting, purely anecdotal. The people that still hang around here will probably disproportionately work on outside contracts.
    Could be a good point that.

My 'all too long' two-month period in an Inside contract had that very effect and, as such, I didn't bother coming to this site at all during that time. Felt erm, almost inappropriate.

Comment

I went perm. (Almost) no outside contracts doing Workday implementations (which is what I do) - PSC bans still firmly in place, and I don't consider inside IR35 to be actual contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        I went perm. (Almost) no outside contracts doing Workday implementations (which is what I do) - PSC bans still firmly in place, and I don't consider inside IR35 to be actual contracting.
        Really? I work in a related area and I'm constantly bombarded with agents looking for Workday consultants and PM's. Although given that nothing in my experience says I know jack about Workday may give some indication as to the quality of those agents....

Comment

Originally posted by Bodger View Post

Really? I work in a related area and I'm constantly bombarded with agents looking for Workday consultants and PM's. Although given that nothing in my experience says I know jack about Workday may give some indication as to the quality of those agents....
          I would be willing to bet significant amounts that 99% of those are either permie roles or inside IR35. I've come across about 6 genuine outside gigs since the PSC ban started, none of which were my area.

As for agents - I am still getting the most ridiculous messages on linkedin about roles for which I clearly have zero knowledge or experience - they are just blunderbussing anyone with a pulse it seems.

If anyone knows of an actual pile of outside roles for Workday, I'm all ears.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Surely inside Ir35 contract == umbrella as otherwise you are certified insane.
            Surely inside IR35 is better if you have travel expenses/rent to pay? I don’t think umbrellas pay for these with pretax money but with your company you can use your retained profits and claim back the tax.

or did they change all that?

IANAA

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

Surely inside IR35 is better if you have travel expenses/rent to pay? I don’t think umbrellas pay for these with pretax money but with your company you can use your retained profits and claim back the tax.

or did they change all that?

IANAA
              Would love to see the justification you could use to run an inside IR35 Contract via deemed payments while the company made a loss to pay expenses
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Would love to see the justification you could use to run an inside IR35 Contract via deemed payments while the company made a loss to pay expenses
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

3 outside since the riles came in

Last day as a contractor today - permie as of monday

Client I'm currently at offered me a permie gig. very small company (but been around a long time) - only 7 of us. Permanent WFH. None of the usual HR crap you have to deal with. If the work load is light, they don't expect you to make busy work.

Very flexible.

If I was ever going to go permie this would be the sort of company so I thought I'd try it - worst case I phrase it as a contract and go back to contracting. I do my own accounts (accountant by original trade) so just going to keep the limited co ticking over for a while just in case.

Comment

Not sure who I’d be justifying it to, or why, but an obvious reason would be to keep skills current to enable profits in future.

It’s perfectly normal for companies to run at a loss, and that was the purpose of the IR35 legislation in the first place (to make small companies lose money and go out of business).

What are you guys on about?

Making me paranoid with all these weird fears you have about this and that.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

Not sure who I’d be justifying it to, or why, but an obvious reason would be to keep skills current to enable profits in future.

It’s perfectly normal for companies to run at a loss, and that was the purpose of the IR35 legislation in the first place (to make small companies lose money and go out of business).

What are you guys on about?

Making me paranoid with all these weird fears you have about this and that.
                      The problem with your idea is that in an inside IR35 contract your company isn’t technically part of the contract.

and deemed payments are crap because it doesn’t provide access to any pension unlike using an umbrella.

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X