• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slippery agent behaviour.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Maybe they revised their offer after talking to to you
    Almost certainly!

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

The hiring manager replied saying that they told the agency from the start that my salary request was too high for my skill level so they never agreed to my request in the first place. The hiring manager cc'd the director of the recruitment agency and said they'd pick up the matter with them next week.
      So why did the hiring manager go ahead with the interview and then not bother to bring salary up?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

So why did the hiring manager go ahead with the interview and then not bother to bring salary up?
        Maybe the agent told them they'd accepted the lower rate?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Maybe the agent told them they'd accepted the lower rate?
          Exactly. The hiring manager said they were going to offer X and the agent said sure, the candidate is happy with X without ever telling me about it.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Exactly. The hiring manager said they were going to offer X and the agent said sure, the candidate is happy with X without ever telling me about it.
            I have little doubt the same has happened to me several times. I guess some agents feel they are in the driving set once an offer has been made and some contractors are desperate for work.

Comment

I have little doubt the same has happened to me several times. I guess some agents feel they are in the driving set once an offer has been made and some contractors are desperate for work.
              Yeah it's like what did the agency expect? That since an offer was on the table I'd be willing to take a 25k cut?

One thing they surely didn't expect was for me to write to the client directly and for the whole thing to backfire as it did.

Comment

I absolutely despise agents, they're all just so disingenuous and unscrupulous.

Recently interviewed for a role (we had agreed on £860 p/d), got a call a few days later saying congratulations they want you, but tried to pretend that the rate they put me forward for was £825, obviously assuming I'd still bite their hand off. I flat out refused and stood my ground, which they were clearly not used to dealing with.

A few members of the agency got involved trying to tell me what a great place it was to "work", but I was having none of it and said it was the original rate or I wasn't accepting. About three days later I get a call saying the "project had been cancelled" and they weren't sure when they would get funding again.

Literally the very next day the role is advertised again using the exact same details, rate range (which they wouldn't accomodate), contact etc

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
                  I absolutely despise agents, they're all just so disingenuous and unscrupulous.
                  Yet you can't find work without them?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Happens all the time.

I actually had this happen when I applied directly to a bank - HR phoned, told me an offer would be made in a pay range.

Two days later they call back with an offer that was £15k less.
                    Counter offer by asking for £15k more...?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Yet you can't find work without them?
                      You can....
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X