• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slippery agent behaviour.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do with agents that display slightly shady behaviours?

Nothing particularly slippery, just the common things such as not replying to your emails after they submitted your CV (because most likely you were not successful) but then 3 months later get in touch about other roles. This sort of things.

What do you do with them?

a) you don't care, that's part of the game.
    b) do not deal with them nor their agency after the first offence
    c) give them a number a chances before you stop dealing with them like 3 strikes and you're out
    d) .....?

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
      What do you do with agents that display slightly shady behaviours?

Nothing particularly slippery, just the common things such as not replying to your emails after they submitted your CV (because most likely you were not successful) but then 3 months later get in touch about other roles. This sort of things.

What do you do with them?

a) you don't care, that's part of the game.
      b) do not deal with them nor their agency after the first offence
      c) give them a number a chances before you stop dealing with them like 3 strikes and you're out
      d) .....?
      If I get ghosted after they claim to have put my CV forward and another role comes up that I'm keen on, I will mention their past performance in a "why should I give you another go" manner without being rude. They'll give me some lies but I like to think it shows that I'm serious and don't take kindly to being messed about.

I would also try to determine if the role is available with any other agencies, which can be hard if it's not yet being advertised but if you know your sector well you'll have an inkling of which agencies are likely to have the job to fill.

At the end of the day, the agent has called you because they think you can earn them some money so to refuse to deal with them isn't all that helpful. My exception would be if the last time I dealt with them they did just spout lies.

Comment

very good advice. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

If I get ghosted after they claim to have put my CV forward and another role comes up that I'm keen on, I will mention their past performance in a "why should I give you another go" manner without being rude.
          I used to get annoyed by this in the past, but figure there is no point now.

If they have a role I may want, no point rocking the boat.

Did they "hold back my CV" above and beyond their submission quota so it didn't get submitted by another agent, or did the client reject it? If it is the first it would be annoying, but I'll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

Did they "hold back my CV" above and beyond their submission quota so it didn't get submitted by another agent, or did the client reject it? If it is the first it would be annoying, but I'll never know.

If you find the role is advertised by another agency (agency B), would it be worth getting in touch with agency B and ask them hey can you check with end client if I was submitted by agency A? They should be able to find out. Whether they would bother it's another question

Comment

If you find the role is advertised by another agency (agency B), would it be worth getting in touch with agency B and ask them hey can you check with end client if I was submitted by agency A? They should be able to find out. Whether they would bother it's another question
              Maybe, but if you don't trust the first, how can you trust the second not to **** with you?

Others may say absolutely get agent 2 to check.

The problem is trusting agents.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

Maybe, but if you don't trust the first, how can you trust the second not to **** with you?

Others may say absolutely get agent 2 to check.

The problem is trusting agents.
                yeah you can't 100% trust agency B either but if say agency B manages to check with the client and comes back saying "agency A didn't submit you so send me your CV and we'll do it" you now can assume for sure that agency A did you dirty and you weed them out with a good reason if that's what you want to do.

Comment

yeah you can't 100% trust agency B either but if say agency B manages to check with the client and comes back saying "agency A didn't submit you so send me your CV and we'll do it" you now can assume for sure that agency A did you dirty and you weed them out with a good reason if that's what you want to do.
                  I agree. It's not in agency B's interests to claim agency A didn't submit your CV and then offer to submit for you, if your CV has already been sent to the client. Some clients take a dim view of seeing the same CV multiple times and that would hinder rather than help your chances

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Incognito View Post
                    Sat on a Zoom meeting, wearing a tie waiting for the interviewer to join. I had previously been offered the role but didn't take it after they took too long to make an offer, so I was feeling confident.

About 5 mins after the start time I text my friend who works there to ask why no-one has joined.

Agency (Salt) didn't bother telling me the interview was cancelled as "I was asking for too much money".

The "too much money" amount was more than 50% over the rate I asked for.

Never heard from the agency again.
                    I have sometimes walked out of interviews that I know for sure I have absolutely nailed to have a brief period of excitement from the agent before they disappear off the face of the earth and wondered if it is the agent not being able to make the deal (although to be fair end clients can be as bad).

(or it's me being deluded, before anyone says!)
                    Last edited by SussexSeagull; 21 July 2022, 12:21.

Comment

That is the "honest" scenario for Agent B.

If you aren't trusting Agent A to have submitted, how can you trust Agent B to tell you the truth.

They might be happy to try and remove you from the equation as a duplicate CV - eg they don't even ask the client if you are already in, they just submit you anyway. Client can't be bothered with a tug of war, even if A got your CV in first.

It's all ifs and buts, and some may see that as mega paranoid. That is why I would always stick with Agent A.

If I have been submitted by Agent A, and I don't want to tell Agent B, I might say I'm not interested in that client because "reasons".

Comment

Working...
                      X