• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For the people that went permanent in the recent past - how is it going?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the people that went permanent in the recent past - how is it going?

Just curious to see how everyone else is doing? I went permanent last March when my outside role came to an end and the client offered an extension on FTC. I thought FTC was just the worst of all worlds so left.

Got a permanent role more or less straight away. Pay was less than I had been earning but still good (no problems paying bills etc). It’s been nice to get the same amount in my bank account every month and being paid holidays and bank holidays etc. And also no more admin around my Ltd co.

But I just couldn’t do it. Pointless reviews, one to ones that are spent talking about the weekend, so many meeting, Friday drinks on google meets etc all got to me. I just want to work. So I resigned 2 months ago and have 1 month left here. Looking forward to going back to what I used to enjoy. The inside rates seem to be around 10-15% higher than the outside rates used to be pre covid so at least client are meeting half way.

How is everyone else doing in permie land?

I went permie in 2017 and accepted an OK salary to move from financial services to healthcare data/analytics.

There was a lot of politics and management made a series of poor decisions largely due to not listening to technical experts such as myself.

I would have left within a year but I got to travel to the US every couple of months which was great. When the trips dried up I handed in my notice and returned to contracting for banks.

Comment

I did recently, lasted 6 months. Couldn't do it anymore, went straight back to contracting. 6 months at current gig and couldn't be more happy.

Comment

I've been permie since August 2020 I hate it but I need the money and the PSC bans still exits for 99% of places I used to be able to get gigs.

I may be a bit stubborn, but I am refusing to work inside.

Comment

Great. Interesting work, relaxed working environment, annual review meeting at a very good restaurant, and, earning half what I used to, less tax to pay!

It should see me through to retirement.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Really don't want to do it but I am extending my decision until end of April to see if I can bag a new outside gig once new tax year budgets are agreed.

Seeing the comments here I really can't see me sticking with the permy world.

qh
            Last edited by quackhandle; 19 March 2022, 16:38.
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              Seeing the comments here I really can't see me sticking with the permy world.

qh
              It does require a certain skillset in being a relatively normal pleasant human being
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I went permie back in June 2018. The salary was excellent and I expected the role to see me until retirement. So much so I had my status changed to Alumni Member)... I had worked with the company on and off on a advisory basis and was asked to join permanently to take then through a rapid growth cycle. The growth didn't happen and eighteen months later a mutual decision was made whereby I left the company but went back to occasional consultancy.

I enjoyed the time as I had a fairly free remit to do what I wanted and a decent budget to work with. I don't think I would do it again. The lockdown gave me a chance to work on various Plan Bs and I have now started a small business management consultancy in N Ireland.

HTH
                SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  It does require a certain skillset in being a relatively normal pleasant human being
                  I'm pleasant enough if people are likewise with me.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

I'm pleasant enough if people are likewise with me.

qh
                    Originally posted by Jesus
                    And if you do good only to those who do good to you, why should you get credit? Even sinners do that much!
                    "I'm nice to people as long as they're nice to me" is hardly the mark of someone I want to work with, or anyone wants to employ.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X