• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permiedom beckons...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permiedom beckons...

So for many reasons, it is looking like I may have to put the Ltd Co dormant for a bit and go permy like a few have done on here.

Last resort but have already eaten into the warchest more than I wanted to but hey, the world is a strange place these days.

Been doing this for nearly 20 years and one pimp told me yesterday that I didn't have enough experience, then I remembered her colleague informing me the day before that another candidate was willing to go £100pd lower than me.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

That's disappointing.

I'd say use the permie stint as a means to plunder as much as you can ahead of a glorious return to contracting See it as a two year fixed term contract, maybe?

Comment

Thank you LM.

I seem to have survived credit crunch and the numerous lockdowns however the last three months have been very odd.

Pimps lying about outside gigs (even after interview with client) then begging me to take it inside, to large multinational drinks company trying to get free consultancy out of me. Frustrating, but that's freelance for you.

I've been reading about post covid and the Great Resignation and maybe I've reached the end, my love for what I did isn't there any more. ?‍♂️

qh

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        So for many reasons, it is looking like I may have to put the Ltd Co dormant for a bit and go permy like a few have done on here.

Last resort but have already eaten into the warchest more than I wanted to but hey, the world is a strange place these days.

Been doing this for nearly 20 years and one pimp told me yesterday that I didn't have enough experience, then I remembered her colleague informing me the day before that another candidate was willing to go £100pd lower than me.

qh
        Sad for you.

It was the lack of Outside IR35 contracts between December 2019 and April 2020 that did me in and then corporate tax bill. It wasn't possible to keep on invoicing via LTD and I also had breaks between contracts in the years 2017 to 2019. I thought contracting was a cushy number, everything would continue to be hunky dory. The pandemic and Off Payroll Worker rules forced me down fix term contract (PAYE) and then I went permanent. Sad for me too.

Permiedom might offer training in some interesting future tech e.g. big data, AWS architect or something you like. Don't get into personal financial debt, avoid it like the plague.
        Last edited by rocktronAMP; 8 March 2022, 10:28. Reason: whoops

Comment

Thank you LM.

I seem to have survived credit crunch and the numerous lockdowns however the last three months have been very odd.

Pimps lying about outside gigs (even after interview with client) then begging me to take it inside, to large multinational drinks company trying to get free consultancy out of me. Frustrating, but that's freelance for you.

I've been reading about post covid and the Great Resignation and maybe I've reached the end, my love for what I did isn't there any more. ?‍♂️

qh

I know what you mean. I've been very lucky over the past 16 years, managing to keep working during recessions and goodness knows what. Current gig ends this month, end of April at the latest, and I'm more nervous now about future prospects than I've ever been.

In theory it ought to be liberating to realise that you no longer care about the job and it's time to move on but then you end up wondering what else to do. I have absolutely no idea what other work I could move into and I'm not sure I can be bothered to retrain yet I potentially have another 20 years of work still ahead of me.

Comment

qh
            Out of interest what do you do?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Out of interest what do you do?
              SQL Server / Azure SQL. I have noticed a massive shift from Azure to AWS in gigs recently so maybe some training is needed.

qh

Comment

On the positive side:

- load up on max company pension contributions (and salary sacrifice)
                - paid for holiday pay, sick pay, parental leave, death in benefit service, private healthcare (some including spouse and family)
                - laptops and phones provided
                - buy extra holidays if offered
                - free training courses / certs etc
                - company bonuses

Comment

Begone foul knave. Request thine ban on t'way out.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Begone foul knave. Request thine ban on t'way out.
                    After nigh on 20 years I guess IANCOTBAC.

qh

Comment

Working...
                    X