• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permiedom beckons...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You done those TPS reports yet?

Comment

Didn't get the memo.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        Didn't get the memo.

qh
        It'll likely come up at your next 1:1 when you're being measured against your KPIs.
        Last edited by Paralytic; 11 March 2022, 11:33.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          Many of the permie jobs I've been looking at are fully or 95% remote so may be able to avoid that crap.
          qh
          I think this is a good point. Though I also think a lot of the "I can't deal with permie crap" sentiment is either vastly overblown or down to the people themselves being difficult buggers. All those here excepted of course. How hard is it to get paid to listen to someone waffle their way through a form anyway while you drink a free cup of coffee?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Woohoo... dress down Fridays.

Have you put in your order for stuff from the stationery cupboard?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I think this is a good point. Though I also think a lot of the "I can't deal with permie crap" sentiment is either vastly overblown or down to the people themselves being difficult buggers. All those here excepted of course. How hard is it to get paid to listen to someone waffle their way through a form anyway while you drink a free cup of coffee?
              Agreed. Any topic on here is full of "vastly overblown" opinions from the usual crowd who I suspect haven't got that good a grip on reality.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                For me it's more of the 'additional activities' they expected me to do when I was a permie, many moons ago. Like writing their content marketing. Brainwashing other people to join the cult.

It all adds up as hours over the year - and do you get paid for any of it? Do you 'eck. You get more unpaid work. What's more, your salary increase is usually dependent on all this free work you're doing.

What I like about contracting is that it's - when it's good - a clear transaction of money for skills. I like that simplicity.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

Agreed. Any topic on here is full of "vastly overblown" opinions from the usual crowd who I suspect haven't got that good a grip on reality.
                  To be fair I think you are vastly overblowing that point as well. Different topics have a 'usual crowd' I agree but it's utter crap to lump the usual crowd in to all negative points on all topics. I'm one of the ones that likes discussing and understanding IR35 and yes put a negative spin on, purely so someone can understand the negative aspect and make their own decision. That said I completely agree with what dh0000g says. People are labouring points that are at worst are minor annoyances and this hating perm roles is a poor view. I'd argue that the usual crowd that are negative on IR35 spend time understanding it and would apply the same level of thought to perm roles and on the whole also agree with dh000g. So who's your usual crowd now? It appears to be absolutely anyone that's said anything negative about any topic ever discussed on here.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 11 March 2022, 15:53.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigLadFromBeeston666 View Post
                    What's more, your salary increase is usually dependent on all this free work you're doing.
                    Er, if you salary increase is dependent on work, then by definition, surely that work is not free work?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Er, if you salary increase is dependent on work, then by definition, surely that work is not free work?
                      To clarify, I mean you're usually incentivised to go above and beyond your hours and duties when you're a permie. I can only speak to my experience when I was a young permie. Getting wheeled out to conferences, helping the biz dev team with pitches - none of that was within my remit.

But there was an implicit understanding that I had to do those things to move up the ladder, get promoted and get more dosh.

So when I talk about free work in a permanent employee sense, I mean the extra stuff you do that isn't in your contract of employment, but you implicitly know is expected of you in order to progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X