• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Increase Day Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

This is not true, I am receiving a rate increase of 1% in April.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

You increase your rate by asking but in all likelihood you aren't going to get anything by staying.

So start hunting for a new contract so you are in a position to ask for more money (matching the rate of your newly found better paying contract) or don't expect an increase.
    This is not true, I am receiving a rate increase of 1% in April.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by goonbreath View Post
    bbp did you get what you need by way of an answer?

If your agent takes a percentage, maybe they can do the conversation for you. I had that happen in my first contract role and got 10%, it took 5 minutes. They can just ask, if it is a no then at least it was tried. Remember, they will get more money if it is percentage based and have the contract negotiation skills.
    Need to ask the agent if they are on a fixed commission first. If they are then no amount of negotiation will work and save you a ton of time.

Leave a comment:

• goonbreath
    replied
    bbp did you get what you need by way of an answer?

If your agent takes a percentage, maybe they can do the conversation for you. I had that happen in my first contract role and got 10%, it took 5 minutes. They can just ask, if it is a no then at least it was tried. Remember, they will get more money if it is percentage based and have the contract negotiation skills.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

You shop at Asda - INKSPE or that anyone rich enough to shop elsewhere would shop at Asda even if it is convenient.
    Well Waitrose and Asda sell different products. Can't get the various noodles from foreign places I like from Waitrose or even Sainsburys. However Waitrose sells far better cakes and alcohol. And none of the mentioned have the aisles of crap....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by cannon999 View Post

- My favorite chocolate bar at my local asda went up from 1.50 to 2.20. And no, it was not on sale before.
    You shop at Asda - INKSPE or that anyone rich enough to shop elsewhere would shop at Asda even if it is convenient.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
    I would also find another client who will either pay the new contract rate or come very close it. Be in the way, "I already have had an informal conversation with ACME and they are potentially offering £750 per day."
    If you are on £500 and say that, they will (probably quite genuinely) advise you to take the other gig.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
    My favorite chocolate bar at my local asda went up from 1.50 to 2.20.
    I'd lead with this at contract negotiation.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    I wonder if some of my contractor ex colleagues who used to brag about their sports cars, parts shares in aircraft and rental properties mentioned cost of living increases when it came to renewal time?

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by lecyclist View Post
    Let the good contracts run, cut the others as soon as you can.. and if you need to stay, at least make sure you are paid appropriately.
    Agreed with all of this. If you have the financial freedom to do so - not living month to month, then do.

One of the best things I did in the past few years was quit a contract that was making me unhappy at an otherwise unhappy period of my life. I left at the beginning of summer with nowhere to go to, much to the bemusement of client and agency. I spent a few weeks doing exactly what I wanted to, went on holiday, got a better gig (that I wouldn't have been able to accept if I hadn't left) and slowly but surely, life got better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X