• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Increase Day Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Top 1%?
    He is Inside IR35. So getting around 65K year after tax. Even less if he takes a healthy number of days holiday.
    As of 2022 that is probably not even in the top 5%.
    Probably just above the 50% median if in a HCOL area.
    amz is doing 180k basic now

citi seems to be doing 190k basic for 2y experiece. https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerque...tm_name=iossmf

you’d have to be dumb or hate money to stay on pocket change

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Top 1%?
    He is Inside IR35. So getting around 65K year after tax.
    As of 2022 that is not even in the top 5% of after tax earners.
    Ah. Yes good point but still pretty low numbers.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    Threatening to walk has less impact at big firms - they are used to losing key staff to competitors.
    Yes, and it's hit/miss in general. However, if you're niche/in-demand, you have more leverage at all sizes of client (and you are more likely to be direct too, so no agency margin). There has always been a spectrum in the contracting power balance; at one end, you have exploited temps who should probably be employees, and at the other end you have niche consultants that operate as guns for hire. Somewhere in the very fat middle, you have contractors doing BoS work at big banks and in pharma (and a few other industries that have essentially industrialised contracting) who are basically well-paid temps and are mostly inside IR35 now (and probably were before).

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You are on £500 a day!!!! You are in the top 1% of earners in the country.
    Top 1%?
    He is Inside IR35. So getting around 65K year after tax. Even less if he takes a healthy number of days holiday.
    As of 2022 that is probably not even in the top 5%.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 February 2022, 11:58.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

That's an awful lot of assuming and speculating.
    And in previous posts an awful of links to reddit posts claiming mega salaries.
    Last edited by TheDude; 17 February 2022, 11:57.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

well I assumed he is a developer, 1-2 languages, some seniority. 5-10y experience.

yup £750 is fair game in this market.
    That's an awful lot of assuming and speculating.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Ignoring the more optimistic (aka unrealistic) claims above, the only real ways to prove you are worth an increase are either to demonstrate you are well under current market rate for the job you are doing - difficult at best, most of the time - or are adding value to your client over and above what you are being paid to do - also difficult in some areas but eminently doable in others. Both require clear and supportable numbers of course. Demanding a percentage without them will be pointless.

Any rise will probably come out of the agency margin. That may not be big enough to give you anything of course, especially if they are on a PSL rate.

And both client and agency are affected by the cost of living rises remember. that particular argument won't work, all else being equal.

I do agree that businesses have to change their charges on occasion, but it has to be for good reason and make commercial sense to the other end of the chain.

So if you want a rise, you have to work at it and prove that it is deserved. Never forget you're already being paid to do the best job you can.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Threatening to walk has less impact at big firms - they are used to losing key staff to competitors.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

well I assumed he is a developer, 1-2 languages, some seniority. 5-10y experience.

yup £750 is fair game in this market.
    It really isn't if you are currently on £500.

Some people may be getting high rates but for the rest £500-600pd is pretty standard outside of London/FS

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by pjt View Post
    I'd put another slant on this. For the outside LTD guys we're running a business. Pretty much any commercial contract I've ever seen has a clause stating increases due to inflation each year are expected. Why would you be any different. Inflation is a very real issue at the moment. Not at least trying for an increase is accepting an actual rate decrease. Thats not good business to me!

In my experience when I've been on a contract that lasts a bit longer than I'd like I have stated to my client that I will be increasing my rate by x% this year and the 2 times I've done this I've had the increase agreed.

Why would you all not be puching for this when inflation is eroding your rate rapidly?
    I've also seen contracts where a year on year decrease in rate is required from the supplier as their efficiency increases. Mainly in the public sector to be fair but not exclusively. We wouldn't want that. We can't pick the ones we want and ignore the ones we don't. The rough comes with the smooth.

Not a bad thing to state the increase as you did and give it a go but the OP needs an understanding of the players, who's paying, who's taking what cut and then come to a decision. Im a mid level role in a long project at a largish client with an agency on fixed commission is not a good place to be asking for rises generally.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X