• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Increase Day Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cojak
    replied
    Yes, back to the OP's question please.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

we haven't that far to be honest. was just pointing what the permi market is doing, based on which we calculate our rates as well.
    Permie market has next to nothing to do with our rates and you were picking a few poor examples so not helping.

inflation is through the roof, cost of life is through the roof, nobody can find decent workers (because most of them have figures out it's not worth doing grinding work for the privilege of paying bills) so salaries and rates are going up.

if you are not going to take advantage of this than with all due respect - you are a schmuck and probably shouldn't be in contracting in the first place.

plain and simple.
    So now you've had your say so lets get back to the OP's question.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Can we get back on topic now.
    we haven't that far to be honest. was just pointing what the permi market is doing, based on which we calculate our rates as well.

in conclusion:

inflation is through the roof, cost of life is through the roof, nobody can find decent workers (because most of them have figures out it's not worth doing grinding work for the privilege of paying bills) so salaries and rates are going up.

if you are not going to take advantage of this than with all due respect - you are a schmuck and probably shouldn't be in contracting in the first place.

plain and simple.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

so it seems to be total comp but guaranteed.

as long as you have some in demand skills, usually 3-4y experience you probably can call yourself senior eng. VP level. if you add a runaway market 190k doesn't seem that much.

market is good now. 10-20% increase in offer over a few months is not unheard of.

Can we get back on topic now.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post

The guy asking the question seems rather clueless about banks considering he has been offered such a high salary.

If this is for real then they guy must either have some serious quant skills or more likely to quote another post from the thread:

The last perm offer I received (December 2021) from a bank was a total comp of £170k with a salary of £130k and that is with 10 years of experience in some pretty in demand technologies.
    I've posted on Blind too

Going to merge two of my posts together on bonus:

This salary is made of a base and a contractually guaranteed annual bonus, I didn't separate these as (1) it would make it much easier for people internally to ID me and (2) it would just over complicate things, as an output it just means the base is 190k

I didn't want to use the word Bonus as people (rightly) think that's discretionary or goes up and down, in this offer the exact amount is written into the contract so it's guaranteed money.

There is also a discretionary bonus, but I've been told in my role it is not something that I should expect to be big (I'm not in IB).
    so it seems to be total comp but guaranteed.

as long as you have some in demand skills, usually 3-4y experience you probably can call yourself senior eng. VP level. if you add a runaway market 190k doesn't seem that much.

market is good now. 10-20% increase in offer over a few months is not unheard of.

Click image for larger version

Name:	now-old.gif
Views:	447
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	4205473

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Probably just above the 50% median if in a HCOL area.
    amz is doing 180k basic now

citi seems to be doing 190k basic for 2y experiece. https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerque...tm_name=iossmf

you’d have to be dumb or hate money to stay on pocket change
    No amazon aren't. £180k is their MAXIMUM basic now because any share options are unlikely to vest at a profitable figure. That's for a role I wouldn't be rushing to deal with and I deal with crooks most days.

Leave a comment:

• IsayIsayIsay
    replied
    Once you get past the comments around thinking like a permie, being soft, not being business minded enough, being crap because you are new, and then being bullied for a bit, you'll realise there are only opinions on here and albeit good for context (and an amazing place for research), in the end you make your own judgement call.

Only you know the context of the project you're working on and the value you're adding to the client (personally and from a business perspective). Knowing this will help you to make the judgement on if you can ask for a higher rate or not. Your reasons are your reasons. In all cases so far, when I've been advised it wont happen, it has (7 day terms instead of 30, remote working clauses in contracts and expense coverage, SC roles when I have no SC). It's probably too fluffy for this forum (and I expect the critics/comments to start, but hey ho, Kierkegaard would have a field day in here), but it's true that the world will pay you what you're willing to ask for - it's about confidence, approach and backing yourself to deliver against additional scrutiny and focus - if you do that and you can do it with confidence you'll find you get what you're asking for.

Yes business is business, but people make business and we're all different, so follow your gut and good luck.
    Last edited by IsayIsayIsay; 17 February 2022, 13:30.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied

citi seems to be doing 190k basic for 2y experiece. https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerque...tm_name=iossmf

The guy asking the question seems rather clueless about banks considering he has been offered such a high salary.

If this is for real then they guy must either have some serious quant skills or more likely to quote another post from the thread:

This is fake. Look at Citi on levels. Guys with 8yoe are getting 100k base offers. Mods remove pls
    The last perm offer I received (December 2021) from a bank was a total comp of £170k with a salary of £130k and that is with 10 years of experience in some pretty in demand technologies.
    Last edited by TheDude; 17 February 2022, 12:48.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Just because someone posts they've had the offer doesn't make it true. Look at the comments. And no way is 65K just over 50% median. Picking a couple of odd high numbers doesn't make a case.
    go and look for yourself in that sub and the other one witout 'EU' at the end. there are multiple claims.

for the amz salary just google it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Just because someone posts they've had the offer doesn't make it true. Look at the comments. And no way is 65K just over 50% median. Picking a couple of odd high numbers doesn't make a case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X