• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turning down contract after verbal acceptance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning down contract after verbal acceptance?

Not cool or acceptable?

Got a contract offer a few weeks ago. There was a massive mess up with the agencies where it all nearly went wrong. Only new agency - both client and agency seem in no rush at all. The start date keeps slipping and latest is two weeks time ("to sort laptop"). It doesn't take this long....

I've continued (if not full pace) to keep looking as everyone suggests. Some really good possibilities have come up - had one interview today and got another separate one tomorrow. A LOT more money (and one is outside IR35) and they look like they're going to move quickly. Another positive I'd get to keep my SC (not with the 1st role).....

Now bear in mind I've got the morals of a sewer rat with a dose of the clap, would it be the worst thing ever if one of these came through and I told the 1st place I'd changed my mind?

To be honest, most of me is thinking I could have started two weeks ago if you lot hadn't made such a mess, or even be starting next monday if you lot pulled you're finger out, so its you're fault entirely here. Sellers market and you wait too long and its gone and all that.

One drawback is the 1st place is local. Not a huge place but spot on for my skillset. Danger is might burn bridges with them forever.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

I have done this a few times.

'My word is my bond' might be the motto on the London Stock Exchange but it does not apply to IT contractors.

Comment

Lol, verbal, amateur. I pulled out of a contract on the Friday before it was due to start, after waiting weeks for clearance.

It wasn't nice, they were far from happy but...it's business. You've gotta look after yourself first - in my case, there was already some bad blood due to previous messing about from them, and I had major reservations over the contract and the work. OTOH, the other offer was via somebody I knew, amazing work, lots of potential. No brainer ultimately - some things you can't turn down.

Like anything, don't make a habit of it - but they won't hesitate to bin you off if circs change. In your case, I would 100% take something else because it sounds like something isn't happening their end

Comment

Generally, I like to think if I promise someone then I'll stick to it.....

But this has been a shambles from start to finish. It almost got canned after the initial offer but then got sorted. Since then, no-one seems that keen to rush at all. Its gone from "oh it'll take a few days to sort" to 2 weeks. The start date has slipped now again. Still no actual contract yet either.

Total opposite of what I've had in the past. In the past, I've been fighting the agency and client off when they want a start TOMORROW and I've insisted we sort the contract out properly. This time I'm on the bench, I've made it clear I'm IMMEDIATELY available and keen to start ASAP. Every week I'm not working is costing me a shedload of money obviously.

Pretty sure it WILL happen at some point but everyone seems to be moving at permie job pace. i.e. one or two more weeks don't matter. I don't think its deliberate from the client - they just seem to really think there's no rush, but I'm surprised the agency aren't moving faster.

I expect they will be unhappy if I bail now, but, to be honest, I'm not sure how long they think contractors will wait?

Comment

Just looking back at my calendar - the interview was Sep 30th and they verbally offered me on 6th October with a start date of 18th October.
          Latest start date is well into November...

Taking the p a bit.....

Comment

How have you been on this forum since 2011, say you've been contracting for 14 years but ask questions that only utter newbs would ask?

Not only that, but these questions that have been asked many times by newbs before. We've asked that you try a search before brain farting on the forum.

If you use the google search method, which you are well aware of because we tell you every time you ask a daft question, you will see 100's of threads asking EXACTLY the same question, all with exactly the same answer.

How about trying to sort your own crap out for once?

We are painfully aware of your situation and I think you post this just for attention as you repeat the same thing over and over so won't quote the whole post again but...

I've got the morals of a sewer rat with a dose of the clap
            Which really isn't anything to be proud of... but.. if that is the case why are you even asking us this question.

Not cool or acceptable?
            What do you care? You've just said what your morals are.

Just trolling again.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 20 October 2021, 18:49.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Interestingly you asked virtually the same question in 2011 with a long thread about verbal contracts.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...orted-yet.html

Funnily enough, almost 10 years ago to the day that thread decended in to mayhem because of your inability to work anything out for yourself.

The following was pointed out to you and 10 years later not a single thing has changed.

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

Your questions aren't dull, but people could easily get the impression that you are one of those people who just talk too much. Do you know the kind of person that just says whatever comes into their heads and they don't think things through. It starts to grate after a while because it feels like you're talking a lot, but you aren't saying anything but perhaps that's intentional.

That's called trolling. I understand that there is a section of the forum called "General" where people do this, perhaps this would be a good place for you to amuse yourself.
              But carrying on.. You gave your opinion on vebal contracts in this thread, posts 9 and 10
              https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...-contract.html

You commented on this thread about poor forum letting clients down
              https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...ml#post1776621

And so on....

So how come you need to ask this again?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Interestingly you asked virtually the same question in 2011 with a long thread about verbal contracts.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...orted-yet.html

Funnily enough, almost 10 years ago to the day that thread decended in to mayhem because of your inability to work anything out for yourself.

The following was pointed out to you and 10 years later not a single thing has changed.

But carrying on.. You gave your opinion on vebal contracts in this thread, posts 9 and 10
                https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...-contract.html

You commented on this thread about poor forum letting clients down
                https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...ml#post1776621

And so on....

So how come you need to ask this again?
                Fair play NLUK you just proved that you've got **** all better to do.....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  How have you been on this forum since 2011, say you've been contracting for 14 years but ask questions that only utter newbs would ask?

Not only that, but these questions that have been asked many times by newbs before. We've asked that you try a search before brain farting on the forum.

If you use the google search method, which you are well aware of because we tell you every time you ask a daft question, you will see 100's of threads asking EXACTLY the same question, all with exactly the same answer.

How about trying to sort your own crap out for once?

We are painfully aware of your situation and I think you post this just for attention as you repeat the same thing over and over so won't quote the whole post again but...

Which really isn't anything to be proud of... but.. if that is the case why are you even asking us this question.

What do you care? You've just said what your morals are.

Just trolling again.
                  By that rationale there will come a time when every possible question has been asked. As such, the forum will cease to exist because no-one will ask any questions or ask for opinions.

Remind me of one part on Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy....

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

By that rationale there will come a time when every possible question has been asked. As such, the forum will cease to exist because no-one will ask any questions or ask for opinions.

Remind me of one part on Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy....
                    Not really as there will be plenty of posts from people who are genuinely new or have slightly different situations. An 11 year veteran of the forum asking questions he's asked before, commented on similar posts in the past, had multiple threads locked and been asked to search to help himself a little bit regularly over 10 years isn't really needed. Particularly when you know you've got no morals so doesn't matter what we say, you'll do it anyway.

I mean, you've hardly helped yourself by trolling prof and posting benign rubbish in General and then expect help?

And to be honest it's for your own good. If you learn how to help yourself just a little you'll find what you need and a ton of other stuff that will actually help you understand what you say you've been doing for 14 years.

But to be fair, reading the first post again you've just posted so you can ramble on about your situation really. Your question took 4 words yet you've written 493 others telling us what's going on.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 20 October 2021, 21:01.

Comment

Working...
                    X