• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Turning down contract after verbal acceptance?"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    yeah I appreciate it's very unlikely they'd do it but I was just thinking of the very extreme case of a petty company that says you signed a binding contract, we want you to start on the agreed date.
    Never in a million years - they'll just be pissed off....

Current client got a guy in as perm. Lived miles away (towards london). The pay was crap where I was - there was no way he was going to drive miles when he could paid more closer to home.

I could see it happening - didn't turn up first day then never heard from again.

Used to happen all the time to this client. Part of the reason was they were slow with the recruitment process (and the pay was crap) that people just found better offers in the interim.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Has this thread now lasted longer than PC on most of his contracts?
    4 1/2 years last one big boy

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Politely decline the offer ASAP

Why the else would you actually turn up on day 1 and then leave.
    Turn up on Day 1? they'll be well pleased with that...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

It's the only one he's ever had that's not been locked or moved so we've got to make the most of it.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Additionally... They can't sue you for breach, they can't compel you to come to work (something to do with antislavery law). If you don't turn up, they either have to sack you (gross misconduct) or pay you (same as when people want to quit a job early). Guess which they'll choose?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

The notice period in the early days will be a week or a month.

So you turn up and don't do anything while playing on your phone. No company is going to want that regardless of how petty they are.
    +1 to this. Not only does your mate not do any work but there is time and money to on board him, the risk of giving him access when he's just going to leave and so on. It's just not going to happen. There are rules around contract and there is common sense which trumps all that.

You are way over thinking it.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    yeah I appreciate it's very unlikely they'd do it but I was just thinking of the very extreme case of a petty company that says you signed a binding contract, we want you to start on the agreed date.
    The notice period in the early days will be a week or a month.

So you turn up and don't do anything while playing on your phone. No company is going to want that regardless of how petty they are.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Slight different scenario but still kind of on-topic

Asking for a friend (this time for real!)

Also, in this scenario we're in the permie world, not contract although a contract of employment is a contract of employment...

We've established that if I receive an offer from company A and I accept only verbally, then there's no issue whatsoever if I decline the offer. Definitely not ethical, but not illegal either.

If instead I sign the offer of employment from company A, send back and start the process of background checks and what not, but THEN change my mind for whatever reason (better opportunity from company B), what are my options at this stage?
    • decline the offer ASAP and hope the company won't sue me for breach of contract (has this ever happened?)
    • hand in my notice on day 1
    • anything else?
    Either way I'd be burning all my bridges with company A (and rightfully so)
    Politely decline the offer ASAP

Why the else would you actually turn up on day 1 and then leave.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Slight different scenario but still kind of on-topic

Asking for a friend (this time for real!)

Also, in this scenario we're in the permie world, not contract although a contract of employment is a contract of employment...

We've established that if I receive an offer from company A and I accept only verbally, then there's no issue whatsoever if I decline the offer. Definitely not ethical, but not illegal either.

If instead I sign the offer of employment from company A, send back and start the process of background checks and what not, but THEN change my mind for whatever reason (better opportunity from company B), what are my options at this stage?
    • decline the offer ASAP and hope the company won't sue me for breach of contract (has this ever happened?)
    • hand in my notice on day 1
    • anything else?
    Either way I'd be burning all my bridges with company A (and rightfully so)

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

Had something similar with a gig that was confirmed by the agent (verbally only)that the end client wanted me, but it would take 4 weeks to sort everything out, in the mean time I asked them by email and over the phone several questions and status updates. never got any reply until the day before I was supposed to start.
    I told them I had started somewhere else as they never replied to any of my questions, they were not amused, well neither was I with them.
    Yep exactly the same thing with me......

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Just have to remember... No feedback is all the feedback you need. If the gig will go ahead the agent will be all over you like a rash, if it's not you'll hear nothing. End of. No point chasing for updates. The agent will contact you when you are needed and not until. One thing I am sure agents don't do is dally when there is money on the table.
    This is very true.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Just have to remember... No feedback is all the feedback you need. If the gig will go ahead the agent will be all over you like a rash, if it's not you'll hear nothing. End of. No point chasing for updates. The agent will contact you when you are needed and not until. One thing I am sure agents don't do is dally when there is money on the table.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

To be honest, they've ghosted me the last two weeks when I've been chasing for an update for the gig...... Whenever I've tried to call I get "he'll call you back". Never did.
    They promised to let me know when the client had sent them a PO and they never did. I even msged the one guy via linked in to say "did you get my email asking for an update?" Reply "yes"
    Had something similar with a gig that was confirmed by the agent (verbally only)that the end client wanted me, but it would take 4 weeks to sort everything out, in the mean time I asked them by email and over the phone several questions and status updates. never got any reply until the day before I was supposed to start.
    I told them I had started somewhere else as they never replied to any of my questions, they were not amused, well neither was I with them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X