• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problem with notice on a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with notice on a contract

Hi,
    I've received an offer whilst working for a client that is equivalent of 50% more day rate..
    Reading current contract arrangement it says I cant terminate before period end (which is mid november) unless company goes bankrupt or other stuff like that

how to play this to leave early?

Negotiate.

HTH...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Negotiate.

HTH...
      I need a good excuse. like grandmas dying I guess

Comment

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post

I need a good excuse. like grandmas dying I guess
        No you don't. That's ridiculous. It's business, not school. Prep for handover very quickly and comprehensively. Tell the client you really need to leave, you have done a handover, should all be ready by X date you want to leave and ask them to work with you it. If you've done a decent job they should realise making you stay is in no ones interest and you go.

Giving excuses fools no one and just looks bad on you.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

No you don't. That's ridiculous. It's business, not school. Prep for handover very quickly and comprehensively. Tell the client you really need to leave, you have done a handover, should all be ready by X date you want to leave and ask them to work with you it. If you've done a decent job they should realise making you stay is in no ones interest and you go.

Giving excuses fools no one and just looks bad on you.
          Now I'm thinking of pulling off 2 contracts at once... thoughts?

Comment

Do you have a substitution clause in your contract?

if so, tell the client you plan to invoke that. Since most clients who have allowed such a clause in the contract never really intend/expect it to be used, they'll probably just give you notice.

Or, go nuclear, and somehow cause the liquidation of the client and use the "unless company goes bankrupt" clause of the contract

Comment

Thoughts? You've no idea what contracting is about?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Thoughts? You've no idea what contracting is about?
                about hiring help when needed? contracting or business?

Comment

Hi,
                  I've received an offer whilst working for a client that is equivalent of 50% more day rate..
                  Reading current contract arrangement it says I cant terminate before period end (which is mid november) unless company goes bankrupt or other stuff like that

It is not possible to force you to complete the contract. For them to sue for breach of contract they have to prove material loss. If you make a bit of effort to handover properly then they won't suffer that.

Simply inform them that you will no longer be available after a particular date and wish to start the handover as soon as possible to ensure they are not adversely affected. If you have a substitution clause, then put some serious effort into finding a sub that you will train on your own time.

You're supposed to be a business, act like one!

Comment

Now I'm thinking of pulling off 2 contracts at once... thoughts?
                    Thoughts? You are just trolling.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X