• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE worth it anymore?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Actually, Andy completely refutes this so, even though I previously asserted the same thing, I won't be asserting it in future because it is disputed, at best, and probably false. According to Andy, what they lobbied for was that payments made after April 6 should not be subject to the new rules for work done before April 6. They did not lobby for the SDS to be required only on first payment from the end client, according to Andy.

But the FLC, I agree, total non-starter, embarrassing even.
    That differs from what REC told me but it's not worth the hassle.

IPSE are dying and trying to find a replacement business model - sadly other people have got there first.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

That differs from what REC told me but it's not worth the hassle.

IPSE are dying and trying to find a replacement business model - sadly other people have got there first.
      Interesting. Still, Andy seems like a straight-up guy, so I believe him. Could be a case of arse/elbow or a predecessor, I suppose. You're right about them dying, though. Even if the benefits outweigh the costs, there are fewer of us around and there aren't enough bohemian finger painters to replace contractors on IPSE+.

Comment

Thanks all, I don't use the other 'perks', just seem too much hassle.

Given the choice between inside IR35 and perm, I'm thinking of going perm until the contractor market sorts itself out.

Comment

My client is small enough that I have to make the determination still, so there is that.

Plus previous years they can look at under the old rules.

Plus the saving (supermarkets and holidays primarily) that counteracts the cost.

It's still worth it for now.
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

IPSE plus has cover up to £10,000 for an agency or client going bust, and £1,000 cover for an agency backing out of a contract.

Seems like good value to me.

Comment

The commercial offering is as good as it has ever been and easily beats the market.

Lobbying is by a strong, well respected and well resarched team, it's HMG that is killing progress, not IPSE by utterly refusing to accept that if you don't have premises and employees you can still be in business.

The original ethos though is long gone. Current management has totally lost touch with its members. It's just another commercial operation these days.

The last is the real tragedy. The rest is just a cost/risk analysis
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                The commercial offering is as good as it has ever been and easily beats the market.

Lobbying is by a strong, well respected and well resarched team, it's HMG that is killing progress, not IPSE by utterly refusing to accept that if you don't have premises and employees you can still be in business.

The original ethos though is long gone. Current management has totally lost touch with its members. It's just another commercial operation these days.

The last is the real tragedy. The rest is just a cost/risk analysis
                I thought there were some gotcha's with the insurance, shared risk pool with a shared covered limit etc.
                Not sure about the lobbying doesn't seem much success anywhere.
                Management losing touch started many years ago.
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

I thought there were some gotcha's with the insurance, shared risk pool with a shared covered limit etc.
                  That's the discounted PI cover, not the PEI. And QDOS has some limitations in their PI if you look closely.
                  Not sure about the lobbying doesn't seem much success anywhere.
                  Management losing touch started many years ago.
                  Lobbying is badly impacted by HMG/HMT/HMRC telling lies to Parliament. There have been wins, some significant, but not necessarily in our typical area of interest.

Management now is irrelevant. The CEO has more power than the BoD it seems. Recent calls for info seem not to really understand reality, being more PR than anything.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Turns out no-one knows what the new Members' Forum does either.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Turns out no-one knows what the new Members' Forum does either.
                      Probably nothing
                      Former IPSE member
                      My Website

Comment

Working...
                      X