• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE worth it anymore?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPSE worth it anymore?

hiyers, had a quick search, couldn't find anything too recent.

The main reason I had it was for the support in case of an IR35 investigation, the rest of it never seemed that attractive. Seeing as it's the end-client that makes the determination now, doesn't seem much point to bother with it anymore.

What do you lot reckon?

Thanks

There's a £5k payout when you die that goes to your family. At least one member has been grateful for that.

Some people make good use of perkbox and recoup the membership fee in savings made there.

There's the jury service cover (but you can get that standalone from Qdos if it's important to you).

Unless you've closed down your LtdCo then you're still at risk of an HMRC investigation into prior years' contracts.

Comment

They are useless, I cancelled a few years ago

Comment

pros:
        legal representation in various matters (including IR35 albeit that is a dwindling concern)
        tax investigation without an excess
        some fairly anodyne templates
        Perkbox (wish I'd bothered to use that earlier)
        jury cover
        illness cover

cons: quite pricey at £325

conclusion:
        I forgot to think about cancelling so it renewed. It will stay for another year, maybe longer (maybe by choice maybe by forgetting again).
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Nope.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

You may find that the IPSE package is cheaper than cherry picking options from other providers. I would suggest you look at everything you get from IPSE, select the aspects that you would find value in keeping then see how much it would cost to get equivalents from the likes of Qdos or maybe Kingsbridge (there are others but I can't remember off the top of my head).

I did do a cost comparison a couple of years ago and saw no benefit in moving and, as I'm still getting outside gigs at the moment, it's still working out on the cost-benefit side of things.

The lobbying side isn't really going anywhere any more. It's shame because there's some great people on the staff but the direction has been lost.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              There's a £5k payout when you die that goes to your family. At least one member has been grateful for that.

Some people make good use of perkbox and recoup the membership fee in savings made there.

There's the jury service cover (but you can get that standalone from Qdos if it's important to you).

Unless you've closed down your LtdCo then you're still at risk of an HMRC investigation into prior years' contracts.
              Good post. When I weigh up the membership fee relative to what it offers, I begrudgingly renew each year. If the balance changes, I won't bother. I mean, I actively want to cancel because they've generally made things worse for contracting in recent years although, TBF, Andy C. knows what is what.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Good post. When I weigh up the membership fee relative to what it offers, I begrudgingly renew each year. If the balance changes, I won't bother. I mean, I actively want to cancel because they've generally made things worse for contracting in recent years although, TBF, Andy C. knows what is what.
                Still doesn't remove the point they've done more harm than good.

Case in point: the determination point of an outside IR35 contract being first payment by the end client changing something where originally the determination was clear cut into a game of chance...

And someone recently seems to have started talking about FLCs again because it was mentioned in a chat I had earlier this week (and I had to find a better argument against as my default one wouldn't work in that crowd).
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Case in point: the determination point of an outside IR35 contract being first payment by the end client changing something where originally the determination was clear cut into a game of chance...
                  Actually, Andy completely refutes this so, even though I previously asserted the same thing, I won't be asserting it in future because it is disputed, at best, and probably false. According to Andy, what they lobbied for was that payments made after April 6 should not be subject to the new rules for work done before April 6. They did not lobby for the SDS to be required only on first payment from the end client, according to Andy.

But the FLC, I agree, total non-starter, embarrassing even.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

But the FLC, I agree, total non-starter, embarrassing even.
                    Basket case job! Was never going to fly.
                    I would just the org run out of oxygen.
                    Nothing left for it.
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X