• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accepted offer now being counter offered

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear in mind that notice periods on permies are pretty much unenforceable. Worst case, you don't go into work and they sack you with immediate effect. Or they can continue to pay you, but they can't force you into the office.

As for the monitoring - I'd tell 'em to stick it.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I cant pretty much guarantee their ability to do this will have been written into the employment contracts. Can be a pretty standard thing for people in their notice period to be monitored, but I've never heard of people being told so bluntly!
      employment contracts tend to be pretty standard. I very much doubt it will be in there.
      There may be some clauses in an acceptable use of computers policy. But I very much doubt they will differ for someone on notice.

In fact I think that discriminating against a person just because they are not notice is not something you can do. That is why gardening leave exists. "We cannot trust you, but cannot control you. So sit on your arse for 1-3 months getting paid".
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

employment contracts tend to be pretty standard. I very much doubt it will be in there.
        There may be some clauses in an acceptable use of computers policy. But I very much doubt they will differ for someone on notice.

In fact I think that discriminating against a person just because they are not notice is not something you can do. That is why gardening leave exists. "We cannot trust you, but cannot control you. So sit on your arse for 1-3 months getting paid".
        I think my response would be tell me what handover you want and lets get on with it.

Then do absolutely nothing until the final day happens after all what are they going to do, fire you...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

They're not discriminating. The standard employment terms will contain clauses that allow the company to monitor usage of their computers.

This software is installed as standard in many financial institutions; i've know contractors to be walked and perm staff given official (on record) warnings due to breaches where they sent confidential information to their personal email address and/or upload information to a public website (in order to use a web utility). In both cases, it was entirely innocent, as the company did not provide the tools.
          Last edited by Paralytic; 24 September 2021, 11:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

They're not discriminating. The standard employment terms will contain clauses that allow the company to monitor usage of their computers.

This software is installed as standard in many financial institutions; i've know contractors to be walked and perm staff given official (on record) warnings due to breaches where they sent confidential information to their personal email address and/or upload information to a public website (in order to use a web utility). In both cases, it was entirely innocent, as the company did not provide the tools.

I'm not so sure.
            additional software will be installed on my pc to track me and what I'm doing during my notice period
            That is pretty discriminatory to me. Treating someone on notice differently is precisely that.
            The software is not installed for all.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I'm not so sure.

That is pretty discriminatory to me. Treating someone on notice differently is precisely that.
              The software is not installed for all.
              Not quite IMO.. If its done for everyone on notice, even if it's just contractors on notice then it's not discriminating one group or person unfairly. I'd see that as quite an aggressive process but I don't see discrimination there. I can't see how your situation in employment i.e. onboarding, full time, notice, left is covered by discrimination as long as it affects everyone in that situation equally.

To be fair the actual process makes sense, albeit a bit late. Anyone worth their salt would have taken what they needed before the monitoring kicked in. Obviously depending on the environment. For your average bod it's way over the top. For someone using secret or business critical data it doesn't sound a million miles out.

We'd be in a world of problems if companies couldn't take steps to protect themselves, even at an individual level if they are perceived as a security risk because it's discrimination.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Smile sweetly, don't do anything controversial then leave at the end of your notice period.

Most importantly use zero initiative and in no way be proactive about handing over.

Comment

It's not, really.

But, hey, if the OP want to claim for discrimination, I'm sure they'll let us know how they get on.

Comment

Working...
                  X