• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice from long commuters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Decent gig but they want someone in the office two days per week.
    1hr 45 mins each way (without traffic) - 97 miles.

I've done gigs in the past about 1hr 15min away and that did my head in. I did one for two years that I caught a train, but was still almost 2 hours door to door every day. Got used to sleeping on the train.

This one, alas, train isnt an option.

I'm guessing two days a week is going to make a huge difference to five? Probably too far to drive though for each of those two days and better to stay over maybe?

Looking for opinions here....

I'd stay over. Get some peace and quiet away from Mrs. L.
    Catch up on the box sets she doesn't like. Find a decent local pub. You might not be able to expense it, but one night a week away is cheaper than a 2 week holiday with the wife. You just tell her you prefer not to go on holiday as you'd rather be at home as hotels is a work thing.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

or do Monday and Friday as office days when no other ****er is in and just leave early.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I'd stay over. Give Mrs L some peace and quiet away from you
        Catch up on the box sets she doesn't like. Find a decent local pub. You might not be able to expense it, but one night a week away is cheaper than a 2 week holiday with the wife. You just tell her you prefer not to go on holiday as you'd rather be at home as hotels is a work thing.
        FTFY... Don't bring the box sets in to it. Just imagine the mountain he's got to climb to decide which one to watch first.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Interesting it always seems the contractor types that prefer these gigs away from home are the ones that are sick of the kids and spouse and looking for an escape / "bit of an adventure"

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
            Interesting it always seems the contractor types that prefer these gigs away from home are the ones that are sick of the kids and spouse and looking for an escape / "bit of an adventure"
            Nope, I just wanted a reasonable nights sleep while avoiding 3 hours of driving.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              Nope, it's part of the job to keep the income rolling in and on top of that I actually enjoy spending time in new areas and exploring.

I could agree it's contractor types as we have to do what we do to earn a good crust and it's only temporary so different mindset to a perm that wants as short a commute as possible. It's part and parcel of the role but nothing to do with escaping the kids and spouse.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Nope, it's part of the job to keep the income rolling in and on top of that I actually enjoy spending time in new areas and exploring.

I could agree it's contractor types as we have to do what we do to earn a good crust and it's only temporary so different mindset to a perm that wants as short a commute as possible. It's part and parcel of the role but nothing to do with escaping the kids and spouse.
                WHS, back a few years when I started being interested in the arts and stuff, deliberately took a tulip contract at Raynes Park so had access into central London. Made enough but not loads over 4 days as two days were nearly half day excursions and the next morning's nursing hangovers.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

97 miles? Massive swerve for me. But I hate commuting in a car, I'd moan if it was 10 miles.

Just so much wasted time.

qh

He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Decent gig but they want someone in the office two days per week.
                    1hr 45 mins each way (without traffic) - 97 miles.

I've done gigs in the past about 1hr 15min away and that did my head in. I did one for two years that I caught a train, but was still almost 2 hours door to door every day. Got used to sleeping on the train.

This one, alas, train isnt an option.

I'm guessing two days a week is going to make a huge difference to five? Probably too far to drive though for each of those two days and better to stay over maybe?

Looking for opinions here....

Go in Tuesday stay over, & Wednesday, Mon am bedlam on roads, do 22hrs over 2 days, then 3 days 5 hours a day at home, piece of p*ss.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Some sketchy advice in this thread.

The easiest summary is to include commute hours and overnight stays in your working hours. Try to get the best hourly rate you can. If you're on a day rate, as most of us are, then overnight stays and commuting destroy your hourly total rate.

Most contractors are better off taking a lower paid gig with no or almost no travel. The hourly rate is higher and you have the bonus of being able use your spare time to enjoy life and do what you want to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X