• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

99% fully remote roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Has anyone accepted a "1/2 days a week in the office" role recently?

Do those 1/2 days have to be the same days as everyone else?

I contracted for a big bank when they went to hybrid office/flexi-hours/hot desk for permies and contractors a few years back, and the days I was in the office, there was often no-one from my team there, rendering it entirely pointless. Team meetings were always on the phone as people were WFH or in other office locations.

Interesting times ahead I think.
    The last time I worked for a bank, I only turned up to the office if it fitted in with my social life

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Well go into the office then, you get paid more and save on those expensive costs.
      No, I'll keep working for home for a salary/day rate that is at least the same as if I was going in the office.

I'll leave those contracts for suckers like yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

No, I'll keep working for home for a salary/day rate that is at least the same as if I was going in the office.

I'll leave those contracts for suckers like yourself.
        I've been WFH since day 1 of contracting over a decade ago... but good for you thinking you're clever.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I had a 100% remote job for almost 4 years (inside) until COVID derailed it.

It was brilliant, spent a lot of time in Australia. The rate wasn't great but well worth it for the perks. However i did work onsite for the first 6 months and made 100% remote a condition of extensions. It seems getting a role immediately 100% remote is a lot harder than easing in to it.

I live abroad now and am in a hybrid role (based out here) at the minute but it will only be a short gig.

In theory COVID has made remote work a lot more common, but the downside is companies have cottoned on to people working abroad and are specifically requesting UK-based which largely usurps the point, certainly for me anyway.

You also have to wonder whether in time, it will all just result in a lot of outsourcing to India etc. If you're not actually going into the office, it's possibly only a superior grasp of the language that puts you ahead of an Indian.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinho View Post

You also have to wonder whether in time, it will all just result in a lot of outsourcing to India etc. If you're not actually going into the office, it's possibly only a superior grasp of the language that puts you ahead of an Indian.
            It's the skills and knowledge they need. That's the fundamental argument as to why even at the prices offshoring roles is not good value for money. They local contractors (in theory) should reassuringly expensive.

You can't compare a highly skilled on shore contractor with tens of years delivering exactly what a client needs to an offshore bod just because neither attend an office.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You can't compare a highly skilled on shore contractor with tens of years delivering exactly what a client needs to an offshore bod just because neither attend an office.
              this is very true.

Of course he may be comparing himself to an offshore bod, which may be very different to your scenario.
              The very fact that he thinks his job is at risk from semi-skilled cheap resources is telling.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Of course he may be comparing himself to an offshore bod, which may be very different to your scenario.
                The very fact that he thinks his job is at risk from semi-skilled cheap resources is telling.
                Since when were Indians semi-skilled?

Comment

Oddly phrased question?

Like Brits and indeed anyone from anywhere, some are highly skilled, others not so much. The more you pay, the higher the probability that a client might catch the cream of the crop, but since offshoring is usually about cutting costs to the bone, the outcome is definitely a low skill workforce doing the minimum possible.
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Oddly phrased question?

Like Brits and indeed anyone from anywhere, some are highly skilled, others not so much. The more you pay, the higher the probability that a client might catch the cream of the crop, but since offshoring is usually about cutting costs to the bone, the outcome is definitely a low skill workforce doing the minimum possible.
                    It was implied that i was worried about losing my job to semi-skilled Indians, but of course there are highly skilled Indians, and they are much cheaper than highly skilled UK workers.

And this is the point about 100% remote work, you're not necessarily providing much advantage over an Indian. So in time the increase in remote gigs created by COVID may dry up as companies realise they can just offshore to a greater extent.

Comment

who mentioned Indians?
                      Outsourcers could be anywhere in the world, which I thought was you point TBH, but are almost always the cheaper resource at their locality.
                      Outsourcing is generally a cost cutting game so using cheap resource is a must. Hence they are almost always crap (semi-skilled)

As a side note..... the way to get value from your outsource provider is to ensure they provide the best skilled people they can afford. I have come across some very good outsourced resource, but they are usually very siloed, and get moved on to more important clients.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X