• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

99% fully remote roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	infosys.jpeg
Views:	482
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	4181742

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Exactly. Hence the haemorrhaging of systems knowledge.
      Although this is just like using contractors to an extent. We found we kept them while the project was running - a year or two - since it was consistent work probably. But if we came back to them a year later for some changes or another project, they were often double the cost or had got jobs in/moved to the US.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

But you don't normally get rid of all your back office staff and hand the responsibility over to contractors.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Have been fully remote since the start of the pandemic last March in development/tech lead/architect roles, and I now refuse to do anything that requires regular visits to a client site.

Having the right client helps, the first 6 months was for a client in Basingstoke but no office visits due to Covid. Since then I’ve had roles for a Dutch company, an Israeli outfit, and a few short term local Sheffield days here and there, but still all remote.

I was working from my spare bedroom for the first six months, but then doubled down on the 100% remote, and took out a lease on a small self contained office on Ecclesall road about 10 minutes from the house, and work from there most days. I’ve setup desks and a meeting room, and have commuted to taking only 100% remote, outside IR35 gigs and consultancy roles, and it’s working out very well so far.

Like most of us, in pre-Covid days i schlepped all over the place for roles to client sites, either in London, Leeds, or Manchester, with long car or train commutes, nights over, and ended up seeing my kids (6 year old twins) for 10 minutes at the start and end of the day if I was lucky.

I think Covid has opened our eyes at the bullsh*t we all used to put up with as “normal”, sleepwalking into long commutes away from home for a job and profession that can and always should have been 100% remote.

My kids are growing up over the next ten years, and for the next five especially I blank point refuse to go back to the way things were, dragging myself to client sites all for the dubious benefits of being physically present for agile ceremonies, or to assuage the anxieties of some delivery type who measures progress via presenteeism rather than deliverables.

The genie is not going back in the bottle, the world has been indelibly changed.

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshirespud View Post
            Have been fully remote since the start of the pandemic [...]
            We'll see. If you weren't 100% remote before the pandemic, this might be a highly optimistic view of the medium-term (not of the short-term, I agree). It depends what happens to the workforce more generally, i.e., the extent to which remote working unwinds as the pandemic unwinds. For those with an in-demand skillset, the balance of power has always been with the contractor, so the pandemic has changed little for them. Contractors more generally? I doubt it - let's see who was right in 5 years, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

We'll see. If you weren't 100% remote before the pandemic, this might be a highly optimistic view of the medium-term (not of the short-term, I agree). It depends what happens to the workforce more generally, i.e., the extent to which remote working unwinds as the pandemic unwinds. For those with an in-demand skillset, the balance of power has always been with the contractor, so the pandemic has changed little for them. Contractors more generally? I doubt it - let's see who was right in 5 years, I guess.
              I suspect that both sides will be proved right over time.
              In 5 years time things will be have reached the new normal. Some home working. Some office working. Enough in the office to prove those predictions right.
              There will also be enough offshoring to prove those predictions right.
              And there will also be enough fully remote roles to prove that right.

Also. As the more senior guys get more experienced, and more valuable they will be able to control their working environment better. So those who say they'll only do remote will probably do exactly that.

So you're all right
              This is going to be a mix, like it was before, but with more acceptance amongst business that home working can and does work.

Sorry for providing a nuanced and balanced response that fails to answer any questions asked. I think I need to work on my internet etiquette and get back to black and white arguments followed up by calling someone a Nazi.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

When I say "right", I mean that a significant unwinding of remote working will occur and that will be reflected in contracting roles too, most specifically for average skillsets and below. In other words, the folks who now think that they can remote work forever, 100% of the time, will see that, in reality, the fraction of remote working falls back to something more akin to their pre-pandemic experience, but perhaps a little more than that. Does that help?

( You Nazi! )

Comment

When I say "right", I mean that a significant unwinding of remote working will occur and that will be reflected in contracting roles too, most specifically for average skillsets and below. In other words, the folks who now think that they can remote work forever, 100% of the time, will see that, in reality, the fraction of remote working falls back to something more akin to their pre-pandemic experience, but perhaps a little more than that. Does that help?
                  Too nuanced

( You Nazi! )
                  better.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

We'll see. If you weren't 100% remote before the pandemic, this might be a highly optimistic view of the medium-term (not of the short-term, I agree).
                    I’d been partially remote 1 or 2 days per week for
                    most clients in the last 5 years.

As I mentioned, the choice of client is important going forwards, my most recent clients have been Dutch and Israeli - no chance of ever being called into the client office for those gigs.

As ever the dynamic depends on the client and the contractor, but for all of us the opportunities of all or mostly remote work have improved and changed for ever in my view.

Comment

In my field, 100% remote contracts don't seem to be a thing. Just out of curiosity I've checked jobserve and the vast majority say "remote for now but X days a week in the office at some point".

Permie roles, on the other hand, there's plenty of them advertised as 100% remote.

My current company recently made the announcement of wanting people back at least 3 days a week so I've started to look for another permie role since I don't want to set foot in an office ever again. So far in 3 days of me looking I have managed to line up 4 interviews for 100% remote roles.

Not sure why there is this difference of fully remote offers between permanent and contract work

Comment

Working...
                      X